Letter to the Editor: A city has authority

The history of modern Marco Island stated when the Collier family acquired this part of Florida. When Barron Collier Jr. went to Miami to confer with the Mackle brothers it was a tremendous plus for their property’s development. The fact that the designation of our area as Collier County was caused by the fabulous Barron Collier Sr. family’s and the later development of Marco Island by the Mackle bother’s Deltona Corp. beginning in 1964 is another plus for Florida and for Collier County.

Even the Mackles wanted to make a change in the master plan after they filed it with the county. They felt that we needed more access to the beach and they submitted a request to install additional parking facilities along Collier Blvd. and as I remember the MICA, at the Residents Beach, objected to this. Ultimately the county did not approve added public parking.

After Congress passed a law as suggested by environmentalists, which stopped Marco Island development, the Mackles’ organization ended up leaving and assigned MICA, being given the Resident’s Beach, to represent the island as this was still a county area, not a city; therefore the residents would help administer community matters.

In my opinion, when the citizens voted to form a city, those matters would be taken over by that leadership, the approval of the golf course. The city made a very good decision in accepting this location. Perhaps we would have had additional parking if we had been able to show the city such a need for change. Change is something which is needed when it improves the lives of its users. I hope that our citizens will seek out a petition to sign.

Herbert Rosser Savage

Marco Island

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

marco97 writes:

Herb, again thank you for your input and knowledge of Marco Island.

WMissow writes:

Change is only good if the future is considered as completely as possible by that change.

A putt putt course is no reason to make changes to satisfy an individual's needs who has blatantly ignored rules that were set up for all of us to follow.

What was the reason for the course to be built?

Was it just to make money at that course or was it to be part of a bigger picture of some sort that would benefit the Kramers and their friends or business connections in some way?

This is too big an issue to jump blindly into.

Kramer is no dummy. Be careful what you wish for!

Herb, with all due respect, I do not think that you are aware of the everything that may occur by reason of your suggestions.

Let the Courts do their job!

I am glad that I am part of the 14,000 that have not signed the petition as compared to the 1,600 who may have signed and do not know all of the facts that may be involved.

WMissow writes:

I will take a look at what she wrote. I could not find it on the net. There was also and interesting LTE today in the Marco News, by Bill Harris.

Hascle, considering the slanted version of opinions written in the Sun Times in the past I have a formed an extremely cautious attitude by anything they put to print.

We have to remember that there have been previous petitions and surveys done during the past several years for various projects. I also remember that there were supporters listed and named that never offered the support claimed and quite a few were not living on Marco Island.

I have no ax to grind either other than, I believe, the way that the Kramers went about doing what they did.

They should be ashamed of themselves!

For gosh sakes the guy is a lawyer and please do not tell me he "thought" he did not have to follow the law.

I also believe, now that there is more in this fire, than is at the surface. We will have to wait and see if that is correct.

Let the courts do their work and then we all will see who really benefits from all of this.

WMissow writes:

Sorry Hascle, I thought you said the Sun Times.

I have to get a copy of the Coastal Breeze.

Konfuzius writes:

"They (the Kramer's) should be ashamed of themselves!"

That is what I call a sick opinion.

Konfuzius says:

A hero is somebody fighting the good fight!

Like the Kramer's.

WMissow writes:

Quote of the day!

Opinions and Konfuzius, we all have one of each!