Jewish Family & Community Services of Southwest Florida is in the process of establishing a senior center in Naples, at 5025 Castello Dr., with a planned opening in the fall.
We hope it will become a focal point for older adults in the community, with a full range of advocacy activities, services and programs.
Research has shown that compared with their peers, participants in senior centers have higher levels of health, social interaction and life satisfaction.
The JFCS senior center will have:
· A café where seniors can relax and chat while enjoying coffee and refreshments.
· Lunch and more: a weekly congregate meal for seniors followed by programming that will be intellectually stimulating and enjoyable.
· A computer skills center: staffed and guided by volunteers, computers will be available for seniors to research information from appropriate websites and help them understand technology so that they can communicate in the electronic world of today.
· Arts and music classes and performances.
· Available space for representatives of community organizations serving seniors to provide relevant information.
As part of my work at JFCS I chair the Collier County Leadership Coalition on Aging, a group of 30 professionals from Collier County who provide a wide range of services to seniors. We have engaged key faculty of the Division of Social Work at FGCU to do the first needs assessment of seniors living in the Naples area, funded by many member agencies of the coalition as well as the Community Foundation.
Please stay tuned for details and be a part of it.
JFCS is a non-sectarian social service agency providing mental health and senior services and a food pantry to the communities of Marco Island, Naples and southern Lee County. JFCS has a food pantry o