Marco man accused of stealing loose change to buy beer

Marco man accused of stealing loose change to buy beer

Photo by Picasa

A Marco Island man is accused of stealing loose change from a fountain to buy beer Sunday night.

Around 9 p.m., a man flagged down a Marco Island police officer at The Esplanade shopping center, 740 N. Collier Blvd., and said he saw someone stealing coins from a fountain outside CJ’s Restaurant.

Police found a person fitting the man’s description outside a Winn Dixie liquor store at 625 N. Collier Blvd. Officers said the man, Michael Hagan, was holding some money in his left hand and a white plastic bag of beer in his right.

The witness identified Hagan as the man who was stealing the loose change, according to a report.

Hagan denied being at the Esplanade, but officers said he was wet and in possession of rusty coins and a Coinstar receipt for $4.26. Hagan also had been previously trespassed from the Esplanade, officers reported.

Hagan, 52, of the 1100 block of Lamplighter Court, faces charges of petit theft and trespassing.

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

August8 writes:

Another cheap Marco Resident.

2themoon writes:

I knew marco had a alcohol problem but this is ridiculus

RayPray writes:

in response to August8:

Another cheap Marco Resident.

The Keystone Kops will be the ones looking like fools here.

I know for a fact that Mike is a Good Samaritan & has been diligently at work fulfilling the sundry wishes of all who had previously deposited these coins in the fountain....

20andout writes:

Desperate measures...........Sad that we have people doing this kind of stuff here in paradise and everywhere else. If he needs to steal change from a fountian that bad for beer, god knows what other desperate measures he will take...........any way Big or Small crime Good Job MIPD

August8 writes:

in response to GorchFock:

I will drink to that !!!!

OldMarcoMan writes:

Guess Marco couldn't figure how to tax the loose change, now TSA gets it next time I fly

gladesgator writes:

I'm sorry but this seems kind of silly? He was trespassed from the Esplanade? For what, being in the fountain. Isn't that enough? What's next with the police state? Ten year sentences for stealing a loaf of bread in the style of Les Misérables? And then to get a write up in the newspaper for something so desperate, can we say insult to injury? I would think MIPD should find better things to do.

2themoon writes:

Glades is right

August8 writes:

in response to gladesgator:

What be just is for him to show up at your house and help himself to your junk !!!!

2themoon writes:

Truth be told we have redundant emergency services on this island who have to show their worth to the overtaxed Marco taxpayer...PERIOD!
Thus the ladder truck, the ambulance, the police car, the squadron of workers that show up for a twisted ankle on the esplande...im just saying...

August8 writes:

in response to 2themoon:

I doubt seriously if this is the reason for your high taxes question is? If you need any type of emergency service do 'you' want more or less, think about it??????

2themoon writes:

Hey why not pay more taxes and get yet another fire and police dept..then we'll have 6 total...lotsa services wow! ..just dont have a heart attack betweenthe hours of 8 pm or 8 am because your a dead man...what great services...

August8 writes:

in response to 2themoon:

If you want to exaggerate go right ahead but considering that you live on a rock has more to do with your taxes than emergency services which on an island are a premium especially for a very old citizery.Compare this to other's that live on islands with this beauty and Marco is a bargain by any measure.
Lighten up.

2themoon writes:

...how do you try to make sense to rich old paranoid condo commandos when you own a home and have a family on Marco?

August8 writes:

in response to 2themoon:

You know, I have been trying to figure that out for some time with very negative results.It really boils down to if you like the paradise you live in then it's worth every dime. If not, New York is nice year round, I hear?

2themoon writes:

August8: voice of the people...

August8 writes:

in response to 2themoon:

August8: voice of the people...

Yea Baby, Yea !!!!!!!

MrBreeze writes:

August8 Making more friends I see.

Been quiet, thought Mom turned off the internet on you.

Or your Security Guard job changed hours.

August8 writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

August8 Making more friends I see.

Been quiet, thought Mom turned off the internet on you.

Or your Security Guard job changed hours.

We are having a civil and humorous conversation about someone stealing 'loose change' and who appears, 'MrBreeze' who may be familiar with such activity?
So, now I am a security guard, you just can't seem to make up your mind or are you having dreams about me? As far as being quiet, well generally I speak up when I have something worth saying something that I have always urged you to consider.
How's things on the 'beech' MrBreeze?

Shish,Shish !!!!!!

MrBreeze writes:

August Next time I am in town and on the Beach wow bad me spell wrong (Beech) I think I will go throw some change in the fountain for the beer guy but now that you know his spot I doubt that he will see any of the money. You will be at the 711 911 with a run to the Slurpee Machine. Might even have to use Mom's car.

No dude, I do not dream about you believe that.

August8 writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

No dude, I do not dream about you believe that.

Three things MrBrreze;
Enjoy your trip
Enjoy the Beech when you returm
Most important, do not take that beer money out of my $11 bucks, don't forget.
711/911, sorry over my head MrBreeze clear me up? You know I am a security guard, right?

MrBreeze writes: