Florida barn fire that killed 9 horses started in appliance-filled room

LAKE WORTH — An incident report notes that a fire that killed nine horses started in a tack room filled with appliances.

The report released Monday by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke out on March 9. According to the report, several items — including microwaves and hot plates — were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator.

The Palm Beach Post reports horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.

The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system.

Omar Cepeda, who has rented the barn for three years, told the Post he's battled depression over the loss of the horses. He says the horses cost about $40,000 each.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features