I have just researched the requirements that cities, towns and villages in Florida are seeking when hiring someone for a city manager position.
The following communities are actively seeking applicants at the present time: Lake Wales, North Bay Village, North Miami Beach, Fruitland Park, Indian Rocks Beach and South Miami.
These communities have certain common thread requirements in their respective job listings:
1. Seeks a proactive, visionary, team-oriented and resourceful city manager with strong analytical, communications, customer-service skills.
2. Documented experience in local government management, administration, economic development and community redevelopment.
3. Proven record of strong financial oversight and financial management skills.
4. Requires minimum of varying years of responsible experience as a city or county manager/assistant manager or equivalent experience providing requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
5. Florida experience preferred but not required.
6. Varying levels (bachelor’s, master’s) degree in public administration or related field is required.
7. Salary: Dependent on quality of experience. Benefit package includes health and life insurance and contribution to pension plan.
The Florida League of Cities advertises for free employment openings for government jobs which include counties, cities, towns and villages.
Since the City of Marco Island has a wide array of services that are provided to its citizens, residents, guests and visitors, it would be prudent to use a professional search firm to seek potential candidates to present to City Council for selection of a new city manager.
Marco Island is my city, I am part of it and I am proud of it.
Wayne A. Waldack