Letter to the Editor: Marco City Council Meeting Fireworks

Wow, Monday Night Fights at the Nov. 4 Marco Council meeting! Newly-elected Vice Chairman Sacher called out an unnamed taxpayer (Bill Harris) for a Letter to the Editor that he disagreed with. Councilor Sacher made accusations of erroneous facts on the Smokehouse Bridge (I had included the inspection report as reference in my article), and raised the possibility that I may make a run for the City Council. I wonder, was Councilor Sacher offering his endorsement of my candidacy for City Council? Then our new Chairman indicated errors in my article about raising the bridge; that there were no plans to do so. I questioned how it was possible to install the lights, walkways and landscaping under the bridge, and to allow bigger boats and cranes to travel underneath, without raising it. Apparently our Council only answers questions of their choosing during the Community Forum. Councilor Honig later gave a presentation on city compensation, followed at meeting’s end by Councilor Sacher voicing doubts on Councilor Honig’s facts. At that point, a tirade of outrage and shouting was exhibited. Needless to say, it was not a boring meeting! Evidently Councilor Sacher doubts all facts except his own!

Bill Harris, Marco Island

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ed34145 writes:

So, people are finally seeing LS for who he really is?????

Mr. Harris: I really appreciate the fact that you put your name to your thoughts and blogs. However, you do not SOLELY hold the answers to any issues in your thoughts. While I certainly do not always agree with Mr. Sacher, it would be my suggestion that you be more humble in your suggestions. I find many of them to be "out there" and not in tune with present day Marco Island.

Konfuzius writes:

Eddi,

all Mr. Harris learned is the typical ignorance of Marco Island local government heros.
Unfortunatly if elected, they have no glue what they do. Like you as usual too. Remember your asbestos self contermintion test.
To bring the bridge up for bigger boats is a great idea to improve the values of the east side of the bridge. So simple is that.

tikihut2206 writes:

I do not live full time on Marco but I pay taxes..I am very interested in how exactly the politics work on the Island..I know it is Republican (I am a Democrat)..there is no Mayor or a Council..can some one just explain to me how everything works..just would like to know..no judgements just want knowledge..thank you

MrBreeze writes:

Mr. Harris Great job. Keep your "out there" comments coming as I Hope to see you run for a seat. I think folks are getting tired of hearing "present day Marco Island" and just want Marco Island as it is currently stands.

WizeOlMarco writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

Marco Island has an informative web site:

City Clerk voting information (2012) (State of Florida election rules; must be a Florida resident):

City form of government explained by the City Charter:

Marco Island Civic Association known as MICA is an organization resulting from the original developer Deltona Corporation, is a non-profit responsible for enforcing Deed Restrictions. Reviewing your deed language may help. For an example of MICA’s role, review the development of a mini golf course business during the last 18 months (search newspapers). MICA coordinates access to Resident Beach and sponsors events and issues considered relevant to Marco Island residents and property owners (recent presentation by head of Naples Community Hospital re Affordable Care Act was very interesting and on the MICA web site by video):

In addition to Naples Daily News affiliate Marco News, http://www.marconews.com/ local newspapers include excellent current and historic Island news and information:

Coastal Breeze

Sun-Times

in response to WizeOlMarco:

Marco Island has an informative web site:

City form of government explained by the City Charter:

Coastal Breeze

Sun-Times

Nice post!

gcwnsw writes:

More obfuscation, idiocy and denial.
These people are just like invent.com
They invent everything and create nothing.

harrisbill239#279036 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Ed - I appreciate your reply to my article. It shows that people care and are interested in current events. Just to be clear, I'm not so naive to think that I have ALL the answers. But I do think that the only way to have a good community and good government is for the citizen taxpayers to have a free voice. We all have a vote on all issues; and if we don't all voice our opinions and state the facts that our research shows, the "whole" may take the wrong actions without knowing all the sides to the equation. I'm at a loss as to which of my articles you object to, so I can not provide an appropriate response. I express my thoughts and my facts solely on my own, and do not necessarily think that they represent the thoughts of anyone other than my own. Were you at the 11/4 council meeting? If you were, surely you could see that Councilor Sacher's attack on me was out of line, and his later criticism of Councilor Honig's presentation and views are the cause of diviseness among our City Council.
Bill Harris

Konfuzius writes:

". Were you at the 11/4 council meeting? If you were, surely you could see that Councilor Sacher's attack on me was out of line, and his later criticism of Councilor Honig's presentation and views are the cause of diviseness among our City Council."

Eddi was not but I was. You are right! Not acceptable.

harrisbill239#279036 writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

Eddi was not but I was. You are right! Not acceptable.

My thanks to you, Konfuzius, for your reply. I hope that we can all band together and make Marco an even better community than it already is. I also hope that everyone can attend the Monday 11/25 meeting at the Marriott when Mr Medwedeff shows his next version of the Marriott expansion plans. He keeps trimming it back, but he will never fall back to the original 2001 PUD agreement promised by Marriott. Unless they can get the two-story parking garage approved, they will not have enough parking required to complete their construction. I say "two-story" while Mr Medwedeff says "one-tier". But, as anyone with half a brain knows, if you have parking on two different floors, tiers, stories, layers, or whatever noun you want to use - it is still two stories, and it is still a raised structure, which is prohibited by the 2001 PUD. Also, the planned towers will violate current restrictions, that require buildings to be no higher than 100 feet. Say NO to Marriott's convention center expansion! Thanks, Bill Harris