Letter to the Editor: Who should yield?

I live on Marco Island. On four recent occasions I have almost been run over by bicycles as I was walking my dog on the sidewalk. I have been screamed at and cursed at. Once when I was approached from behind I couldn’t hear the bicycle coming. Recently a man on a bike threw his bike down and started at me. I got my phone out to call for help and the man said sorry and left.

I have never been confrontational. I am 73 and have Muscular Dystrophy. I can’t move myself and my dog off the sidewalk fast enough to please the bikers.

Who is required to yield the right of way on sidewalks? According to Section 316.2065, Florida Statutes, “When riding on sidewalks or in crosswalks, a bicyclist has the same rights and duties as a pedestrian. A bicyclist riding on sidewalks or in crosswalks must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and must give an audible signal before passing.”

I am writing this letter because I believe it is only a matter of time before I am injured unless something changes.

Susan Popejoy Marco Island

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

I ride on the sidewalks. When approaching a pedestrian I dismount and walk past the person, wheeling my bike on the grass as to only take up half the walk.

It may be your dog which aggravates some people.

Some dog owners have the attitude that an on-coming person should step off the sidewalk to make room for a four-legged barking, urinating and defecating machine.

Hardleymarco writes:

We've seem to have lost basic courtesy, it would literally take seconds out of your hectic cycling day to be respectful to others.
Be thankful your here and have the ability to walk / run or ride a bike. You could have a real problem.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Hardleymarco:

Hardly Marco...I so agree with you it is just common courtesy..I cant believe people on this beautiful island have these problems..lets just treat each other with kindness...come on, people we live in paradise just be nice and enjoy our good fortune!!!

MrBreeze writes:

Sidewalks are for people. Bikes use the street and bike lane as I do.

Miocene, anyone you dislikes animals has deep problems.

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

Sidewalks are for people. Bikes use the street and bike lane as I do.

Miocene, anyone you dislikes animals has deep problems.

Careful now. Just because I don't care for dogs doesn't mean that I dislike ALL animals.

ie. I just LOVE dragonflies and bats which eat disease carrying mosquitos.

Regardless; you are correct. I do have some "deep problems".

Thanks for reading and responding.

26yearsonmarco writes:

MrBreeze says:

"Sidewalks are for people. Bikes use the street and bike lane as I do."

I agree, and have also encountered obnoxious people on bikes who think their defecation dose not stink.

Unlike the author of this article, I am in good shape, military trained in hand to hand combat.

RayNetherwood writes:

Mr. Breeze ... you want to ride down Collier or San Marco in the street go for it. My wife and I will stick to the "Shared Use Paths."

I feel for the letter writer, we have bells on bikes that get overused, and one of us loudly announces "Passing on your left/right" -- I'm surprised by the number of bicycles lacking that little piece of equipment, or bikers who make no announcements but somehow expect a pedestrian to know that they are approaching. Kind of silly.

Now, in all fairness, let's pick on the walkers a little too. There are those wearing their iPods/phones, with headsets on, who are oblivious to bells, announcements, and perhaps even cars turning in behind them and about to mow them down.

Little common courtesy can go a long way. :o)

Momface (Inactive) writes:

Maybe one should just take a look at the whole picture in a world where most people only care for themselves and to .... with anyone else.

Bikes on sidewalks going 10 miles per hour, some riding with earphones or a child aboard. No sense of what is going on around them as they cross an intersection.

It is not if, but when, a very serious accident will occur.

Whoever made up the rule that sidewalks should be shared by bicycles should have their heads examined.

tikihut2206 writes:

come on if this is the one of the biggest problems on Marco we are very lucky..Thank goodness no hurricanes this year of any blizzards!!! I live in Jersey and it was very rough last year going through Sandy..who knew I thought I would have to worry about hurricanes in Florida not Jersey..so once again we live in paradise and are very lucky..just enjoy, people!!!!!

Hardleymarco writes:

Visit someone in a burn ward and tell them you had to actually walk around someone, tell someone in a wheelchair that you had to disrupt your day by walking around someone. Priorities are really screwed up these days.

marco826 writes:

I agree. I see too many bikers with attitudes. Recently, as I pulled up to a stop sign from a side street to turn on Bald Eagle a Bicyclist zoomed right in front of my car before I even came to a full stop. He also was on the side walk and never looked at me approaching. He sped by within inches of my fender and looked at me with disgust saying he had the right of way. What he has is no common sense. Regrettably, thats the "all about me" world we live in....

RayPray writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

Sidewalks are for people. Bikes use the street and bike lane as I do.

Miocene, anyone you dislikes animals has deep problems.

Each night I pray some sympathetic scientist will invent AIDS for dogs to rid us of the noisome pooch plague....

Momface (Inactive) writes:

Ray,

You should check yourself into a mental institution, you are a very sick individual.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to RayPray:

RayPray..
Are you serious..I have been following your posts for a while now and you are one of the reasons I decided to post my opinions..you are a very sad and lonely person..I tell some people to get a life you really need to..go out and have fun and stop complaining about everything..life is too short...

RayPray writes:

Momface (Inactive) writes:

tiki,

It is far less expensive for Ray to express his mental problems on a blog then it is for him to get real help.

Loneliness expresses itself in many disguises.

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to Momface:

Ray,

Not really.

Dogs damage your lawn by urinating on it. Dogs disturb the neighborhood by barking; they defecate all over the place and some of them bite.

Every time I see someone walking a dog at night, or walking without a cleanup bag during the day, I know there will be a pile of hot steaming filth in his wake.

Each time I SEE a dog it reminds me of the last time I had to scrape dog chit off my shoe, or the times when my kids dragged it into the house on their feet.

Dogs are filthy creatures, and one of the scourges of suburbia.
They would better serve mankind if ground up and used as chum.

RayNetherwood writes:

Yikes ... RayN asks to please use RayPray or RayP to set us apart. I thought the original topic was sidewalks and bicycles. Dog haters keep the faith, this just in from DC: "If you like your doggie, you can keep your doggie."

We all know what that means ........

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to RayNetherwood:

We all know what that means ........

You know what it is RAY: The letters to this paper are so boring that any excuse to change the subject is a welcome relief.

M.

Momface (Inactive) writes:

in response to MIOCENE:

Not really.

Dogs are filthy creatures, and one of the scourges of suburbia.
They would better serve mankind if ground up and used as chum.

Your comment is akin to saying guns kill people.

It is the people who care less about others, who do not carry the bags, who let their dogs, unattended, barking, outside who are the problem.

Dogs are better companions that many people.

It is the people who allow their dog to be destructive who are the problem.

1Paradiselost writes:

Ten Reasons Why Dogs ARE Better than People!

BTW... If someone hits you while walking on the sidewalk with a bike, do the following. Yell for help, Keep the person who hit you on the scene, call 911, Get their information, Then your lawyer!

RayPray writes:

Konfuzius writes:

in response to RayPray:

Cats too? I am not a cat fan!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to Genuine:

Are you really sure you understand your statement?

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to Momface:

Your comment is akin to saying guns kill people.

Dogs are better companions that many people.

It is the people who allow their dog to be destructive who are the problem.

OK. I'll buy that. :-)

RayPray writes:

in response to RayPray:

Obama & Kinnock Biden

Gunga Jane

Sodomite priests

Gormless local pols

Strutting Blowhard military mavens

>>> Among those I can take swipes at without fear of Grundy-ish censorship....

>>> But fail to gush over the fetid charm of fido?

RayPray writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

Cats too? I am not a cat fan!

I agree.

But at least cats have too much self-respect to cringe for food.

Dogs must be nauseatingly the Uriah Heep of the pet industry!

Hardleymarco writes:

Please read the last comment as if it were the first, just to see how far off the topic certain people have eluded it too.
Don't feed the troll.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to Hardleymarco:

Don't feed the troll.

OK! Let us start a campaign against bikes:

"Marco Island a free bike city!"

mrz333 writes:

It would be nice if these posts were read by staff BEFORE they are posted. Some are so offensive that the OP should be banned from future posts. Is this forum a means for civil expression or local fool magnet?

RayPray writes:

in response to mrz333:

"so offensive"

>>> So delicate are we?

"should be banned from future posts"

>>> A Communist too!

>>> Your 100% un-patriotic un-American ideal of banning any contradictory opinion would render this rag as stale as most of the semi~senile folk whose adventures get chronicled here....

>>> Only that smarmy cheap-touped realtor whose fulsome "guest" columns all too often befoul these electric pages deserves banning...and maybe not even him....

Check this out:

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to Hardleymarco:

Don't feed the troll.

We (I) get off the topic because most of the letters appearing here are so boring that getting off the topic is a welcome relief.

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to RayPray:

I agree.

But at least cats have too much self-respect to cringe for food.

Dogs must be nauseatingly the Uriah Heep of the pet industry!

It is said that dogs have masters; while cats have servants.

Cats are actually much smarter then most people realize.

During the Middle Ages cats were persecuted by Christians for almost four centuries. Cats almost became extinct in Christian Europe.

Cats were cooked alive over slow fires, hacked to death, drowned and beaten to death; because Christians believed that cats were possessed by the devil; all of this under the guidance of the Holy Spirit of course.

Black cats got the worst of it; and the prejudice against black cats leasted well into the 20th Century.

Anyway: What happened is that only the smarter cats learned to evade capture; reproducing and passing on these survival tendencies on to their offspring; the cats you see today.

Black cats are generally the smarter of the species.

Cats do understand what pet owners are saying; they just respond in their own time.

ie. One calls his cat within the home. The cat ignores the call; yet 5 or 10 minutes later the animal shows up. -in his own time.

They are not s-----.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to mrz333:

Did you ever read the American declaration of independence? Your statement is like a communist manifesto. Your comment must become elemminate. Just your blogger name. Extremely unpatriotic for an American. You are maybe not.

Konfuzius writes:

Ernest Zuccarelli you are scaring. Are you a racist? Read your past comment!

March 31, 2012
11:30 a.m.

Written on Quinnipiac poll: Obama ahead of Romney, Santorum in Fla. :

Racism isn't gone its' just gone further underground. Every once in while it rears its' ugly head in the comments we read here. If you can't act or comment in a civilized manner please, at the very least, adhere to the rules of this forum! To those that make these comments I would say not only is your ignorance showing but so is the white hood your hiding in your pocket!!!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to MIOCENE:

It is said that dogs have masters; while cats have servants.

Cats are actually much smarter then most people realize.

Black cats are generally the smarter of the species.

They are not s-----.

... but useless~!!!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

Ray Pray...
would really like to know why most of your posts are removed...

RayPray writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

Ray Pray...
would really like to know why most of your posts are removed...

First, most posts have not been removed, just a handful.

Second, you have to ask the people behind this NDN rag.

Fourth, I have actually been banned from the main NDN site several times, each time for mocking what has grown into a global dog pamper & worship industry.

Oddly, you can lampoon anything today but cringing over filthy fido....

captnjimbo writes:

Back on subject...I am an avid bike rider at 71 years of age. While I always yield to pedestrians and their doggies if they have them, I prefer to ride the sidewalks. Like it or not there are a lot of people that drive whose reflexes are not as sharp, whose vision might not be as it once was etcetera...so even with the bike lanes there is an element of danger. I have found that most walkers will yield but if they don't, I stop. If there is no traffic I can go on the street and return to the shared use sidewalks. This is call common courtesy and common sense.

Momface (Inactive) writes:

Capt,

It would be common sense, as you said, for those on bikes to yield, whenever they can. Not to, could mean serious harm to them or someone else.

What is the big deal not to have some respect for others who may be using the same thoroughfare as you are?

Ancient_Mariner writes:

Cyclists on sidewalks need to be extra careful and extra courteous, not only for the welfare of pedestrians, but for their own safety. Reducing speed is most important. If you want to ride fast, as I do, then ride on the road out of the way of pedestrians where automobile traffic can see you. I don't know how many times I have seen cyclists zipping along at 15-20 mph on the sidewalk right over driveways and side streets. Motorists aren't looking for a quickly moving vehicle on the sidewalks and you can easily get hit and killed by someone who is looking at the road and not at the sidewalk.

Others have commented on courtesy and common sense, so I won't elaborate. But please slow down if you are riding on the sidewalks and everyone will be better off, including you.

MIOCENE (Inactive) writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

... but useless~!!!!!!

Yes, I never heard of a watch cat, seeing eye cat, bomb sniffing cat, drug sniffing cat, autistic aid cat or a hot cat with mustard and saurkraut.

Northerner writes:

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."

Andy Rooney

captnjimbo writes:

in response to Momface:

Capt,

Agreed...mutual respect if you can get it...but if not I will still yield to pedestrians.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to RayPray:

First, most posts have not been removed, just a handful.

Second, you have to ask the people behind this NDN rag.

Oddly, you can lampoon anything today but cringing over filthy fido....

"Third, I suspect that if you click the 'Suggest Removal' button a couple times, they will remove anything, even Jesus' Sermon on the Mount."

Unfortunately that is true. Americans never learned to discus or argue a subject. Intolerance is standard. Too much any given Sunday services. Dogmatic! Never read their deceleration of independence or their amendments. Free speach!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

Just for my personel education:
When was the last blizzard on Marco Island?