Olympics: Figure skating results protested; Americans still lead medal count

Adelina Sotnikova, center, of Russia, Yuna Kim, left, of South Korea, and Carolina Kostner of Italy stand on the podium during the flower ceremony for the women's free skate figure skating finals at the Iceberg Skating Palace during the 2014 Winter Olympics, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. Sotnikova placed first, followed by Kim and Kostner. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings, File)

The 2014 Sochi Olympics continued late Friday night with events carrying into Saturday morning, while most in the U.S. were sleeping. Sochi is nine hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Here’s what fans may have missed:

South Koreans protest figure skating results

The controversy surrounding women’s figure skating continued in the early morning hours in Sochi with South Korea making its frustration with the results of the women’s competition official. South Korean officials sent a letter of protest -- one the International Skating Union hadn’t yet received early Saturday morning -- after Russian teenager Adelina Sotnikova was awarded the gold medal and South Korea’s defending world champion Kim Yu-Na took the silver. The ISU released a statement on Friday, writing that it “is confident in the high quality and integrity of the ISU judging system." But many in the sport were both shocked and concerned when Stonikova’s scores were better than Yu-Na’s.

Norway earns cross country sweep

The Norwegians had an outstanding morning on the cross country ski course, sweeping the medal stand in the women’s 30 kilometer freestyle with Marit Bjoergen winning gold in a time of 1:11:05.2. Teammate Therese Johaug was next in a time of 1:11:07.8 and Kristin Stormer Steira took the bronze in 1:11:28.8.

Americans, Russians still on top of medal count

The cross country sweep helped Norway close the gap a bit on the United States and host Russia in the overall medal count heading into the final weekend of the Games, but the U.S. and Russians still led with 27 total medals compared to 25 for the Norwegians. Russia has the edge with 10 gold while Team USA has been to the top of the podium nine times. Norway leads all nations with 11 gold medals.. Canada isn’t far behind with 24 total medals — nine of them gold.

© 2014 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Konfuzius writes:

The rest of the world count gold medal first, than silver and than bronze. Just America count total medals. How poor can you be to be number one with a trick.

Konfuzius writes:

Why are you believing in this NAZI crap?
History shows you the truth. I have no idea why marco news is agree with you to publish your NS crap.
The only reason you do so is in your meaning you can insult me. How sick are you?

WMissow writes:

Just think Obama's "let's make a deal" buddy Putin to have his judges lie and cheat.

CopWatch writes:

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." Barry Soetoro

WMissow writes:

CW

Obama was actually thinking that he was talking about his place in the political arena!

CopWatch writes:

LMAO!

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

really why are you living here...

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Peter_Panzer:

Peter-Panzer..
finally someone that makes sense...you are so right congratulations to all the medal winners no matter what country they are from...

tikihut2206 writes:

isn't it wonderful to live in the United States and to be able to voice your opinion no matter what it is....think about it..before you put the US down...u think it is better in Germany..fine go back..never been...hear it is beautiful...why do so many people from other countries come to America...there counties are very nice...perhaps it is freedom....to say,believe and do what we want..without breaking the law..and perhaps because it is the best country in the world..if you don't agree you have the freedom to go back to your country..which I am sure you still love...nothing wrong with that..we should all ove and honor our counties no matter where...so lets stop with the Nazi crap and all the rest...enjoy being Anerican or go back to your country that you love...

tikihut2206 writes:

I am so proud to be an American...please post if you agree!!!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

I am so proud to be an American...please post if you agree!!!

You shall be. America is a great country and the Americans are nice people. At least 95%. I have no problem with my American friends excepts the right wing fanatics and neo NAZI idiots. They give me headaches. They are intolerant and nationalistic. Has nothing to do with patriotism. Some of the worse are unfortunately on this blog. One post as SS General Fegelein (banned in the meantime thanks marconews staff) but resurrect now as Peter Panzer. He put his real identity with NAZI Secretary of War Albert Speer on this blog. He believes that is funny. For me it is an insult for all allied soldiers loss her life for the liberation of Europe and Germany from NAZI Germany. Especially Americans had the biggest burden to do it.
However - if I have some other opinions like you or others. What is the problem?
I am critic enough to see that not everything is good in America. I am not agree with your right wings fanatics to blame to 100% GREAT President Barack Obama for a lot of miss and call him BOY on this blog. And I am not agree with WMissow as he called as islandeye a real American war hero and wonderful citizen Bedford Biles "Chicken little". Bedford and his lovely wife Fay Biles did a lot of good and positive things for Marco Island. Fortunately his wife is still doing.
Finally Germany is a nice country in the present time too. But I am coming to Marco Island since 1971 and since 1996 for good. I pay my taxes here and take care for me and my wife by myself. And I deliver myself and my opinion in this small community. On top my father was American and my brother is.
So what is wrong with that. If I tell you how the rest of the world counts the Olympics success ranking, than is that just information. Maybe some stuff is better some where else.
It is better to steal a good idea than proceed with a bad idea.
I am not agree with you in the Marriott case. But I did not call you names or insulted you. The fanatic blogger above do this since years. But I fight back. That's all.

Konfuzius writes:

"..if you don't agree you have the freedom to go back to your country."

PS I think better is:

If you don't like it, you have the RIGHT to go!

But I like it here.

Konfuzius writes:

You can count it forward backward middle-ward. Russia won. By my counts or the American counts.
Finally who cares. Nice Olympics. No terror. No trouble.A lot of nice encounters. And just a view doping cases.

Russia did good.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

It is better to steal a good idea than proceed with a bad idea.

first of all it is not I shall be..I am a very proud American..we have freedom to voice our opinions..some, of course I do not agree with, Nazi is a vile word to call anyone..sorry, didn't know people change names to say things..I will always be Tikihut2206 and voice how I feel..but will never degrade anyone..just not my thing..and really don't need a big ole book for your explaination..lol!! does anyone have fun on this post..just kind of kid around without insulting people..doesn't seem so..can we have a little fun or is everyone on this beautiful island old and craky!!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

I do understand everyone is passionate about their opinions...but maybe we can all be a little silly sometimes...life is short..come on..hate me or like me..I have some fun things to say...I am a part time writer (of course, just in my head)..see that was fun..

tikihut2206 writes:

Ok, really one more post for tonight..I am the generation from the 1970s..peace, love, rock n roll and one more thing I wont say!!! hope at least one of you had a little chuckle on me...

MrBreeze writes:

Tikihut2206 My best time was on the beach this fall listening to music watching the stars listening to the water. Nothing can replace the peace and quiet of that night.
See you on the dark side of the moon
Wish you were here (Pink Floyd)

Konfuzius writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

See you on the dark side of the moon
Wish you were here (Pink Floyd)

I can see your power of imagination.

NO snowbirds.
A peaceful and quiet island.
Just nice permanent Marco Islander.
6 month of silence and cosiness.