Letter to the Editor: Councilor starts website

Please visit my new website, HonigForMarco.com, for my views on pressing matters facing Marco Island and for access to all the slides and materials I’ve presented in City Council sessions. I established this site because otherwise I’m speaking in a vacuum chamber of apathy or enmity, depending on the topic.

I welcome your feedback, as always, and I encourage you to pass along the site access details to your friends, neighbors, and anyone who cares about the future of our paradise. Most members of this current City Council are ignoring pledges of transparency, fiscal prudence, and comity – toward what end, I don’t know. What I do know is that the present course leads to more debt, higher taxes, inefficient government, and legislation by instinct or payback.

Our Council does occasionally listen to viewpoints expressed by persons other than themselves, so I encourage you to read up on what’s happening and get involved.

Larry Honig

Marco Island

© 2014 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

May I recommend you remove this statement

"Some of my colleagues on City Council want to increase our debt. Their argument is that if we have a long-lived project, such as the Smokehouse Bridge, future users should help fund it. This is pure folly. Every capital project we undertake is for the benefit of future users, so with that logic, we should borrow for everything."

I do not even know where to begin with such logic. Perhaps my rebuttal is: that statement is pure folly.

Your conclusion "we should borrow for everything" is a classic example of extending a premise to projections beyond reality.

For the record, most large capital projects with long term lifespans are generally debt financed for exactly the reason you dismisses, to spread the cost over the life of the asset.

The problem I believe you do not address is Marco Island's recent history of paying way to much for projects and requiring them to be implemented in a short time frame. All leading to higher costs requiring more financing relative to the size of the community!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the fiscal responsibility mantra...I was really impressed with the purchase of a Fire Rescue boat that exceeds the cost of surrounding communities by a factor of more than 2X with an ALS fire rescue boat provided by the Isles of Capri. I love how you are able to include the deficiencies of that boat through the inclusion of personnel training and federal standards that Marco Island never met or most small town communities. Nice salesmanship!

But I would expect nothing less on Marco, a gold standard water and waste treatment system and a gold standard fire rescue boat.

Marco will accept nothing less than a gold standard.

But then again, even the fire boat was financed! Why, we have so much money to spend for capital projects!

Its the spending NOT the financing to a gold standard that is beyond needs of a small community even a boating community.

1Paradiselost writes:

I want to know what the city is doing about the cost of our water and sewer? We have the highest water rates in the state. We were given a sales job when the city bought the water company. We were told our rates would go down

Do we as citizens have the right to file litigation against those who were in charge who lied to the taxpayers?

They lied to us and now we as a group are stuck with the bill!

Are you reading this prospective home buyers? Do your homework before buying property here.

MrBreeze writes:

Larry, you were one of the three guys for the taxpayer correct? I am curious as Ajm3s states why have you not stood up against things like the fire boat. I do have hope though that the recent decline to replace city vehicles may give some hope. I will read your website, and I would hope that you and the other members that were elected on the promise to represent the taxpayer of Marco Island will be upheld.

Tom_Massie writes:

Be careful there are "other forces" acting here to bring back the syndicate. Watch and learn.

MrBreeze writes:

Larry, I visited your website. It is a very nice site and I applaud you for setting it up.

Although you may think that numbers balance I believe that you are "out of touch" with the average citizen of Marco Island. I believe until that fundamental change occurs this island will be further divided or concoured by one mindset.

I now understand the problem "totally".

Mr. Breeze: There are now about 15-17,000 full time residents on Marco island. Most newcomers are families and the average age of a Marco island resident is going down. There are more than 60,000 seasonal residents on Marco Island. How many of them vote here I do not know.
So please define for all of us what or who is "the average Marco Island Citizen"? I, personally, would be very interested to know that information. Just remember, as you answer, that most of our Council was elected with between 3-5,000 votes and every voter got 4 votes. So the average citizen, in my opinion, is hard to define.