Letter to the Editor: Marriott – on the proposal and the trucks

Marriott – on the proposal and the trucks

Trucks, trucks, trucks will become a serious short and long term problem for Marco Island if Marriott renovates its beach resort as proposed. The initial, short term, truck problem would commence with the construction phase and continue until its final completion in 2016. Construction trucks are an annoyance but when the project is finished, they leave the construction site and the short term truck problem goes away.

However, after the construction, the more serious, long term, truck, truck, truck syndrome would commence on Collier Blvd. (and on I-75 for that matter) and would constitute an ongoing problem, with no end in sight. It would last ad infinitum.

Here’s why. The crown jewel of the Marriott renovation proposal is the vast enlargement of what they call “meeting space,” which includes a cavernous exhibit hall. Currently, the size of their meeting space is about 56,000 square feet, or larger than the size of a college football field. Their renovation proposal seeks to increase it by another 30,000 square feet. In addition to that massive floor area, they propose to increase the height of the ceiling from 10 feet to 22 feet. The finished building would be absolutely colossal and capable of accommodating convention/exhibits for the largest vendors in the country.

A few days before an exhibition, all the equipment needed to set up the elaborate floor displays must be delivered to the convention hall to be assembled and readied for showing. The delivery must be made by truck, and, depending on the size of the display, it may range from a panel truck to a full size18 wheel semi-trailer truck. Note, In such an enormous exhibit facility there may be over 100 exhibitors, which equates to twice that number of trucks on Marco streets, one time arriving and one time leaving.

During a typical 3 to 5 day show those same delivery trucks must be housed somewhere, awaiting their pick-up-and-return-home responsibility at the end of the show. Where on Marco could 100-plus trucks be stored without creating a major eyesore?

This pattern for exhibitions and truck flows could reoccur all too often, given Marriott’s reputation for aggressive marketing. For the residents of Marco Island the wear and tear on our roads and bridges would soon become a costly concern, our Island’s aesthetic beauty would be challenged by the never ending presence of trucks, and, keep in mind, our traffic congestion is heavy enough now, without adding hundreds of trucks, of all sizes, to Collier Blvd., year-round. The trade off for residents is whether or not to grant an extraordinary profit opportunity to the Marriott organization and at the same time, put at risk the quiet and tranquil Marco Island lifestyle we now enjoy, by agreeing to the introduction of an ongoing flow of trucks, trucks, trucks, forever!

Bill Thomas

Marco Island

© 2014 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Bill:

Surprizingly, Mr. Medwedeff did not point out the location of the loading docks in the last sales presentation held at the Marriott. Provided with free parking and refreshments for the guests...what a host!

Folks, Mr. Medwedeff believes he must convince 5 homeowners along the back wall of the parking facility to alleviate neighbors concerns! This is how myopic the Marriott management is in reference to the community.

What is most interesting is Mr. Medwedeff's need to expand to compete in the marketplace for convention business in the 21st century. Well here is the kicker and where I am confused: 1. He wishes to maintain the 2 story lanai section (a 20th century facility) which could provide additional space raise to the 100' height restriction. 2. He wishes to expand parking across the street (a 20th century feature). A feature that would never be recreated in any large facility. In fact, the east coast of Florida requires all high rises to provide parking on the same lot as the building..thereby requiring underground parking.

Why would the Marriott want to expand or not remove outdated facilities? Answere: it is the least expensive means to maximize meeting and room space. If the Marriott was honest to the folks, it would acknowledge that is could meet the needs of the 21st century but it REFUSES to remove outdated facilities OR does the Marriott believe in the allure of a small tropical town with features that include direct beach access from the lanai suites built decades ago.

Interesting to say the least. But this much I know..I ask the folks to research the size of conference rooms at other Marriott facilities under the Beach and Resort franchise. You can also include the JW Marriott brand in your search.

Conclusion: This expansion would rival and in most cases exceed the size in cities and communities that are more than 100 to 1000 times larger in residential population.

And all this on a small tropical island!!!!!!!

Apologize for my typo's, but this is pure lunacy to allow the Marriott to get away with again promoting the income potential but disregarding the options it has available to stay within the agreement signed in 2001.

DO NOT BE DUPED! FORCE THE MARRIOTT TO ENTER THE 21ST CENTURY WITH REGARDS TO BUILDING DESIGN.

THE MARRIOTT REFUSES...YES REFUSES TO COMMIT TO THE SMALL TROPICAL TOWN ATMOSPHERE THAT IS BEING COMPROMISED AT EVERY TURN.

YES I AM SCREAMING. If the business community is really broad minded in its view of off season business, it would be promoting the development of the vacant lots in the residential community for full time residents. Just consider all the potential tax revenue loss from undeveloped single family homes. Also, consider the increase in vacant lots during the economic downturn..In fact, the number of existing homes razed exceeded the number of commercial lots that were razed (100's of residential homes vs 0 commercial)

Folks we have a gem that is under commercial attack under the guise of more revenue from tourist and conventioneers, especially during the off season.

I have a thought: let's build and promote singe family homes for a host of reasons which include attracting families that wish to raise a family or retirees, or God forbid, snowbirds.

Perhaps, I should encourage Jane Watt promoting families to fill our vacant lots and eventually schools. Or is this to much to ask considering the Marriott contribution for a culinary program in securing the financial viability of the charter school.

So many folks, so many choices, so many special interests. Well here is mine: Promote residential development on vacant lots...we have 1000's. And they may stay during off season!

Just want to remind all of you complainers of some numbers that have been presented and that are factual. The Marriott already operates at 95% occupancy during season. The proposed project was analyzed from the standpoint of increasing off season occupancy. I would venture to guess that many of you complainers are not even here during off season. But that is not the point. This "big increase" in truck traffic will not affect the Island any more than the car carriers that block Collier and park at Veterans Park and load and unload so many of your cars to come and go, on and off season. Marriott has done for more charities and this Island than all of you combined. This includes lowering, or keeping low, our City and County Taxes. Marriott can do this project, without City permission, by installing dual level Parking Units that are used similarly in parking lots in New York, as an example. But as a good neighbor, they are trying to come up with a better looking alternative for the Island.
Yes, my viewpoint is biased. Yes my wife has a store (for 21 years now) at the Marriott. But just be careful what you wish for.

in response to lauralbi1:

Don't forget the biggest complainer: The Marriott!

Recall, the response from Mr. Medwedeff when asked about options to alleviate public concerns: "too expensive". Sounds like a complaint!

And maybe I may be biased, but this is a residential community even those who own a home, and stay seasonally.

As for what I wish for: I wish the Marriott would build its conference center at Hammock Bay where I believe it has ample space to create a large conference center. I also wish it concentrate on renovating and expanding its facility on Collier Blvd as a resort. It can shuttle guests to/from the conference center just as well as its golfing aficionados. It would go a long way in promoting the resort feature feature NOT the additional commercial activity associated with conventions.

But I know the Marriott would complain! Especially if you have a Planning Board and potential council that believes it is only about the adjoining neighbors and would side with the Marriott...that is why the Marriott I believe is coming out with a third version that is requesting more height.

Folks, the most simple way to promote a small town atmosphere is with height restrictions....it is what Downtown Naples did in so few words.

Yet the restaurants and businesses on Marco believe the expansion of conference business will promote their business....I believe a conference center at Hammock Bay would provide the same benefit.

Or am I complaining again!

in response to lauralbi1:

"Marriott can do this project, without City permission, by installing dual level Parking Units that are used similarly in parking lots in New York, as an example. But as a good neighbor, they are trying to come up with a better looking alternative for the Island."

You may be biased but it NOT TRUE: no elevated structures except tennis court on the east side of Collier. Read the agreement!

"This "big increase" in truck traffic will not affect the Island any more than the car carriers that block Collier and park at Veterans Park and load and unload so many of your cars to come and go, on and off season."

Interesting analogy, but to be fair, you should note that volume for the Marriott would be on Collier Blvd at a single locus, directly across the street from a parking lot in which cars will be shuttled across the street...on the busiest and largest artery on Marco Island. I believe the car carriers you allude to are dropping off cars all over the island as well.

Its about intensity and turnover!

" Marriott has done for more charities and this Island than all of you combined."

I will dispute your claim, and simply ask to anyone who has collated this information: what is the combined donation of individual residents vs the Marriott. I will go out on a limb and simply say, the Marriott is a fraction, however, I do believe Jane Watt likes the Marriott, and she should. The Marriott was able to institute a culinary program in its name for a charter school that includes as a goal: "Develop partnerships and businesses and civic associations to demonstrate our commitment to the community"

Sorry, Ed, but I thought the original goal was to its students and cutting edge learning techniques. The mission statement is completely been revamped from its web postings at its infancy. My biased view: MIA is being overly influenced by single large donations as evidenced by the Marriott, which I believe is not what was originally promoted by the MIA board.

[http://www.marcoislandacademy.com/Mar...]

An impact study (if any is truly conducted) will be interesting. But as you state, its off season...but it will increase also during season because it has larger facilities with now higher rates.

It comes down to putting as much on a limited footprint and hoping the Planning Board and ultimately the Council will drink the free refreshments as provided by the Marriott.

Konfuzius writes:

Eddi, Eddi,

again on the loser side. As spokesman of the syndicate you fail by the STRP and asbestos scandal. Now you fight for the interests of your wife like Mr. Medwedeff did for the Marriott. He is a god manager. And he is doing his job. You are not convince-able and you doing not a good job again. Bingo. But we - the citizen of Marco Island - have to do our job too. Marco Island is a small tropical island. We - the people - have no benefits from Marriott at all. Not even the small businesses or restaurants. I like the engagement of Marriott at the new High School. Most of Marco Islander were against the High School! However!
Marriott want Marriott Island. Fine for them. I want my nice small tropical island, anyway to big with this Manhattan skyline - and a nice evening of life. Fine for me!

This is now just a political subject.

Nothing else. ajm3 posted the facts. I explain the political dimension. If I follow you, than we have to turn down all single family homes and create a science fiction concept for business developments of hotel expansions in the next millennium. I guess that is not what people today want. And quit frankly who cares ABOUT YOUR WIFE'S BUSINESS inside the Marriott? Nobody - except you.
The political dimension of this project needed a referendum. It will be affect the life and the life quality of all Marco Islander. If the majority is agree, let it go. If not - let Marriott - not go - but come down.
So simple is democracy. In Russian or China they will remove all citizens are not agree with Marriott's expansion plans to another location. It's not so easy here.
In my opinion Mr. Bill Thomas wrote an excellent letter.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to Fegelein:

OH! Genuine is back as SS Fuehrer Fegelein. Put his name fictive in as Otto Herman!!!!!
And first blog is immediately an insult to me.
Otto Du bist ohne Motto!
On top out of subject again. Very bad new start!

MrBreeze writes:

Mr. Bill Thomas Great Letter, Right on with the facts. As a former Owner/Operator who hauled show and convention setups I can tell you that you are correct in your analysis of the truck traffic to and from Marco Island.

If I had to deliver to a convention center first you have to make your time to get dock space. Next, someone has to unload the truck, usually requiring a forklift. Here is the big difference bigger venues have more dock space thus load/unload moves faster. Smaller sites big venues have less docks thus you wait. Most time idling in the street to keep warm or cool depending on the time of year.

I have been in small sites that I have waited all day to get dock space to unload. After which you either wait for the convention to run its course then you are right back at the dock to reload the setup. Some displays can only be transported by the trailer they are built for. Some have special trailers to protect the high-end displays. Where are the trucks going to go? Yes, off island they have to but where? Closest truck stop/parking is Fort Myers Pilot. The congestion is huge, the noise is loud, the exhaust smells and lingers, tempers flare trust me I have seen many fights over parking and dock space. This is just what I said about the "free bridge" now the traffic will come in 85' 80,000 lb. incriminates.

The convention truck traffic is added on top of the already delivery truck traffic that brings all goods currently to Marco Island which is alot of truck traffic currently coming and going off the island.

Ajm3s is correct, where are the loading docks? How can you back in 85' off Collier? Where is this going to go? The people of Marco Island need to stand up and demand answers to these and many more questions. It is not about tourism, conventions, or store owners, it is about the peace and quiet we all bought into and want to remain the same? If I were to park my truck in my driveway I would recieve a violation, what happens when one makes a wrong turn and ends up in a neighborhood? Happened to me, GPS took me there, had to back out down the street stopping traffic.

You gentleman have it right, very right.

captnjimbo writes:

I think dealing with the home owners that will be most affected was a good move. I have not attended the meetings. Have they declared that the space will be for exhibits? I don't think that has been made clear. I managed a large company where we brought hundreds of employees together for product introductions and to share business plans. These were in large hotel complexes in Florida and Arizona. There were no trucks and no exhibit halls. These meetings required lots of entertainment options, a big auditorium, big feeding capacity and several break out rooms. Also, employees in this type of environment are on display, are trying to make favorable impressions and are usually on best behavior.

This is different than trade shows.

Trade shows would be somewhat risky for a place like Marco Island. That is because exhibitors and customers are not under one authority. Most corporate meetings use chartered busses or cars to move people. They tend to do the recreational planning in groups and tend to keep their people busy enough and on location. That type of meeting would not have a negative impact on our Island and by extending the season could be a major financial gain for our largest employer and let's not forget that there is a room tax that comes back to the community.

Can somebody clear up what type of business they are trying to attract and if it is business meetings, what can be done to prevent it from becoming trade shows in the future?

in response to captnjimbo:

This is different than trade shows.

Can you please confirm if the hotels in FL and AZ had parking across the street? Also, the range of uses for conference rooms can be quite variable from large industry wide conventions (as is typical at the Javits Center in NYC) held at convention centers which Mr. Medwedeff said is NOT what the Marriott is proposing. However, there are smaller industry venues that would want to cater to tabletop type exhibits or something in between, where a large single room is required to promote ease of foot traffic and allow ample room for displays. Or as you have described, a single corporate gathering i.e. world sales conference to host a large group.

For me there is no way the Marriott would NOT accept gatherings that require formal display booths if requested. That is the whole rationale for a large room, it is not necessarily confined to an auditorium setting with stadium seating arrangement with a large stage for a host of individual speakers.

My primary concern is parking and traffic. It has always been and will continue to be a problem on this island. Even the recently built Esplanade is now using every available ROW for overflow parking on Thursdays.

The Marriott has options to build its facility within the confines of the PUD but it chooses NOT to minimize cost. Consequently, it will impact parking as well as traffic, especially if parking is expanded across the street. It is an expansion of poor parking design.

Park on the west side and all this is minimized, but the Marriott will NOT do that; so why should the residents have to shoulder the impact of a poor parking design that will impact traffic on Collier especially during the high season.

Why exacerbate the problem? I believe the plan laid out by the Mackle brothers and to which Mr. Herb Savage brilliantly designed is still appropriate...to foster mom and pop businesses to serve the residents and visitors on this island. When you want to expand facilities beyond the specifications of good site planning, as is the case with the Marriott expansion, I will voice a loud NO! I cannot understand why a single large corporation is not sensitive to good planning and building design, especially on an island with tremendous appeal to tourists.

As a rough guide to assessing the use of the conference center, just consider the number and size of the loading docks to give you an indication of the volume of stuff anticipated moving in and out.

It resembles a big box store. I wish the Marriott would enter the 21st century of innovative building and facility layout and design, to match its reputation for hospitality. I hope for the best but with a (third) newer version about to be presented on Jan 29th, requiring more height and parking across the street....I may be disappointed, again.

MrBreeze writes:

Ajm3s The answer to you questions is a simple one word answer "Money".

YouAreWrong writes:

Let's move away from the Hitler stuff, and get back to the absurd comments of "Bill Thomas" and "ajm3s" and "MrBreeze," obviously a trio of idiots. There won't be 200 trucks, there won't even be 20 trucks, 2 trucks is more like it. Why don't you fools go to the presentation Jan. 29 and see the plans for how the trucks do not stop on Collier, they have a long driveway inside the grounds, and ask Medwedeff yourself how many shows, how many trucks, what his meeting space is actually used for, instead of what you think or some friend of yours from somewhere said (assuming you have any friends, an unlikely outcome). He will answer all your questions. Or you can stay anonymous and spout nonsense in your underwear, pounding your anger away at the keyboard.

Tom_Massie writes:

YAR,

.........and we are supposed to believe you? Medwedeff already committed himself by saying he had nothing to do with the agreement of 2001. Does anybody believe that his interests are for the people of Marco Island and not his place in history at the Marriott?

Maybe he can buy himself a few votes from those donations he made to a couple of interest groups? But he sure is not fooling anyone except those who will be making money from "congesting" this paradise.

Tom Massie Sr.

in response to YouAreWrong:

Dear YouAreWrong:

Nice premiere comment!

Again, I welcome you, but I recommend you CAPITALIZE if you are really angry...

PS. Will the Jan 29th presentation be the third iteration that is currently not shared with the public via online postings. The last PowerPoint presentation in early Jan did not show the audience the location, but if you simply asked the city what plans were submitted by the Marriott, you would have clearly seen 6 loading docks which required backing in from Collier.

Interestingly, Mr. Medwedeff did not present the full view from Collier Blvd in his public presentation. But I have been following this since August and if you would take the time to review the original presentation Mr. Medwedeff made before the Planning Board, it was apparent he was NOT going to build a facility to the 21st century standards that are currently implemented by municipalities with lot density issues as on the East Coast of Florida.

He wants to address the marketing needs of conference space for the 21st century BUT is BLIND to building a facility to current, 21st century, design standards which include parking on the existing site to minimize impact on traffic.

Your humble,

"Idiot" Publius

YouAreWrong writes:

"ajm3s," you are only wrong four times in your latest post, improvement noted.

First, you do not know how to read plans. The plan is 100% to have trucks exit to the right, get off Collier, and then (after leaving Collier) back into one of the three (3) loading docks. When they leave, they head straight out to the south on Collier. There is zero (that's none) backing in from Collier. Ever. If there happen to be too many trucks showing up, there is an overflow lane taking trucks to the side of the new building, to wait until they can back up into a dock when it opens up.

Second, the "six" loading docks you think you see include three dock-like areas used for storing loaders and trash bins, so that they are out of sight until needing to be emptied (by a truck backing up but not from Collier). Medwedeff covered this. There are only three loading docks for tractor trailers.

Third, as for the "building standards," again YouAreWrong. No building code requires (or even allows) going below the water table, which would be the case if Marco had the Miami Dade codes. Miami Dade is on mostly coral; Marco is on mostly sand.

Fourth, there aren't any "lot density issues" with the Marriott. There is no increase in density.

No capitals needed. Not angry. Trying to set the record straight by noting whenever YouAreWrong.

Tom_Massie writes:

YAR,

Please address the comment above in which R. Medwedeff specifically said that he had "nothing to do with the PUD agreement of 2001". Obviously he was not there, but the intent of the agreement has nothing to do with what the Marriott Corp. now wishes.

You may wish to weasel around that "FACT" but those of us who have lived here for many years do not!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to YouAreWrong:

"ajm3s," you are only wrong four times in your latest post, improvement noted.

I have o idea what Marriott pays you for your BS you post. Or are you on the payroll of Marriott as misrepresent presenter?
However. It is not a problem of "six" loading docks", "how to read plans","building standards" or "lot density issues".

It is just a political subject. Is the majority of Marco Island citizens ready to change Marco Island in Marriott Island or not?

That is the only relevant question. Change a little peaceful island in a resort destination or keep as as spot for people like to have a peaceful evening of life.

Just a referendum can give answer. Nothing else.

PS Why are you calling all people not agree with you idiots? If you believe you sound so ore professional I can tell you - you are nuts.

in response to YouAreWrong:

"ajm3s," you are only wrong four times in your latest post, improvement noted.

I hope we are looking at the same set of plans. The plans I obtained from the city for the last public meeting show a lane along the south boundary, which I believe will act as a fire lane as well as access in the back and partial backup for 53' trailers into the docking area. I believe I never contested nor specifically stated the specific route for delivery nor the size of trucks. I limited my statement to the number of delivery docks. But we do agree that is the intended design route for delivery. The limiting factor is only one truck backup at a time with no additional off-loading zone.

As to characterization of three "dock-like" structures for waste, it is still a dock to facilitate the removal of waste. We can be semantically clever, but it is still a dock structure to assist in waste management, as we see in supermarkets etc. And reinforces my point as to the level of activity in moving materials in and out of the facility and approaches the size of a big box store.

As to the underground parking, I was simply stating the design construction techniques currently used in the 21st century. Since Mr. Medwedeff wishes to amend the codes to increase height restrictions as well, I strongly recommend including parking underground, so all additional parking is on the same side of the facility.

Underground structures can be built regardless of sand or coral, to believe otherwise is the equivalent to saying we cannot build a tunnel below the waterline.

As to your last point as to density issues, I must inform you that more stuff on the same footprint is considered increase density from a land planning issue, but I am just a simple person. That is why land planning includes setbacks, height restrictions for various zones as well a PUD's to which the Marriott is requesting an amendment.

This is evidenced by the need to go higher beyond the existing height restrictions in the PUD.

But then again to set the record straight, I am clearly an idiot from your perspective. Which is fair but for the record, I believe I understand the term density.

Love your gusto but I would recommend you review the Marriott's design in light of city of Marco Island focus "to enhance the quality of life for residents and visitors on Marco Island while managing growth and development and protecting the island’s tropical small town character".

In fact, I have stated that the Marriott can build to meet the terms defined in the existing PUD, Mr. Medwedeff simply refuses on the basis of cost.

Just listen to his initial presentation to the Planning Board in August.

MrBreeze writes:

YouAreWrong= You are wrong. You are wrong because I like your statement "If there happen to be to many trucks showing up, there is an overflow lane taking trucks to the side of the new building, to wait until they can back up into a dock when it opens up".

Being one of the trio of idiots I think I said the very same thing. Question how long is the driveway to wait in ? Tractor/Trailor up to 85' long. Does this "driveway" share the same as the "delivery" driveway that is used for goods?
How many trucks can "stack" up and wait for the dock? I have waited 8 hours or better to get to the dock.

There won't be 20 trucks 2 trucks is more like it"
Question do you know how many Tractor/Trailers it takes just to transport one of today's concert shows like would be at a local venue?
Answer 10 to 20 units.

How could a convention center run on two Tractor/Trailers? Maybee Matchbox car convention? Minature dolls? Minature Golf? Matchbooks? Playing Cards?

You are wrong again, Have you ever been behind the scenes at a convention center loading dock? It is not the lazy scene you portray. Trucks want to unload and go need to be unloaded tempers get hot quick.

So when you can answer some questions I await your reply. Mr. Breeze, One idiot of the trio.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

There won't be 20 trucks 2 trucks is more like it"
Answer 10 to 20 units.

You are right! But why did you argue with facts? It is not necessary.
This is a political subject.
Do you want a change?
Marco Island to Marriott Island? Fine.
If not = better!!
But the majority of the citizens have to vote on this. Maybe in July 2014 when the snowbirds are gone. And the part time Marco Islander!
Let the real Marco Islander decide what they want. Nobody else! Even Eddi and his wife. Winner of any changes at the Marriott operation to a bigger size!

PS I my opinion you are not an idiot. So the other two! Maybe YouAreWrong. Iamnotwrong! Like usual!

MrBreeze writes:

Konfuzius, I agree. People with no facts have to result to insults to try and deflect. I like your name "Marriott Island" that was a good name if we allow this to happen.

Why do you believe that the so called "snowbirds" would vote for Marriott not against. I do not live on the Island full time yet I do not want the Marriott to expand. I believe it will change Marco Island as we know it today. It has changed in the 25 years that I have been coming there and in the 14 since I purchased my home. I think all taxpayers have a right to have input on this one.

Like I said before your opinions are yours and I respect them. Some people attack you personally which is wrong as I believe your knowledge on "world" history is far above the "average" person.

WizeOlMarco writes:

"...Marriott has done for more charities and this Island than all of you combined. This includes lowering, or keeping low, our City and County Taxes. Marriott can do this project, without City permission,..."

Mr. Issler, since you have personalized this issue by casting your views upon the residents of Marco Island, please share with everyone the name of the family business, so we residents can shed light on your views, so resident shoppers can make informed choices about where they spend their MARCO ISLAND dollars.

Brisla writes:

Unbridled greed. When is enough enough?

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to YouAreWrong:

you are the first post I agree with..I have been saying the same thing..glad someone agrees with me!!!!

WizeOlMarco writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

Except, there will be more trucks; perhaps not more trucks at one time but more days with trucks and therefore more trucks over a given period of time. The point of the expansion is increased business activity which means more events, i.e. trucks hauling stuff in support of the events. I bet the trucks will drive on and turn from-to Collier Boulevard.

MrBreeze writes:

WizeOlMarco Where else but Collier would you turn? I have a question, How far is it from Collier to Marriott property line at the beach? How deep? From the lane on Collier to the end? This measurement will show the distance of the inside drive/loading lane to the docks.

Tikihut2206 You seem all for this expansion. You will not be so happy when you lose another 40% on your realestate you currently own.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

Are you sure she(?) understand you? I mean intellectually? I guess not!

To All: A referendum is a great idea, but probably not necessary. As I stated in my blog, above, here is a much cheaper method for the Marriott to meet the additional parking requirements and would not involve any "construction" on the east side of Collier Blvd. These do not violate any City Codes, nor are they considered construction and are MUCH CHEAPER !!!!
So keep in mind that doing this via a City approved process will be much more pleasing to the eye than landscaping front and back to hide, as much as possible, these double parking units.

captnjimbo writes:

Are they attracting trade shows or corporate meetings? Bus loads of people or truck loads of stuff?

Seems like a simple question. Anybody know answer?

Here is the newest proposal for Marriott Miami. Note: where the parking is located given the massive size of this project.

in response to captnjimbo:

Seems like a simple question. Anybody know answer?

For a peek here is a listing for conference Ft. Lauderdale at the Harbor Beach Marriott. For comparison here is the current specs of the facility:

Ft. Lauderdale Harbor Beach & Spa, 15 floors, 618 rooms, 32 suites and 100,000 ft2 of meeting/conference space

Note: the days listed including the tear down date for exhibitors.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Eddi, Eddi,

Your trust in democratic procedures are depend to your personal interests. That is a very poor understanding of democracy!
This is a political subject. Let the people of Marco Island decide what they want. Maybe WITH the snowbirds.

MrBreeze writes:

Ajm3s Right as usual. Take this in account also. The set-up day means the exibit needs to be on site already so that means the days prior your truck needs to be at the dock. What also happens frequently is shows run back to back so you have exibits being torn down waiting to go on trucks, with new exibits waiting to get off trucks as they need to setup for the next show.

Trust me, it is a very stressfull pace to get that load there on time and off loaded. Most shippers push that hard then the truck arrives early and is sitting. Most communities have adopted "no idling" ordinances to try and combat this problem. So if the truck arrives at the Marriott what is going to happen if the dock is full? Stage it in the lane? Turn it away? Make it go off the island and come back? Thats not traffic right? you can't count that right?

Someone will say guarantee this, that they will "only have appointment times for dock space" Thats great, until someone is late,early, or running late while in the dock getting loaded. Again, where do the trucks go???

Mr. Bill Harris has found the true problem with the expansion of the Marriott right here. The problem "it is hard to stop a rolling train".

RayNetherwood writes:

Sigh. We bike up and down Collier almost daily. The Marriott is doing just fine, thank you. It is nothing short of a spectacular resort. Is it losing money? Hardly. Should it modernize rooms and infrastructure? Absolutely.

I don't relish the idea of increased truck traffic, and there will be access problems. Likewise, the notion of going to all valet parking is equally foolhardy ... especially if the goal is to add another 80 rooms in the "new tower" over the "new convention facilities."

Were the Marriott designing something on 20 acres in the middle of no where, I'd encourage any scheme they could come up with. However, Collier is what it is. The drive up to the front door can barely accommodate vehicles two-wide, and there are days that get dicey under the current scheme where there isn't 100 percent valet service.

Then there are the homes backing up to the parking area ... there will be an impact ... we can claim "minimal" all day long, but the impact will still be there.

Libertarians normally say "mitts off" on government interference. But, we're also big on contracts. If the Marriott entered into an agreement, then the City of Marco is entitled to hold the Marriott to it. It could also amend the agreement, but that issue would hopefully be put before the voters. I think our island is great the way it is. I would vote "no."

Konfuzius writes:

" I think our island is great the way it is. I would vote "no."

Second!

captnjimbo writes:

I have been given an answer...unconfirmed. No trade shows...corporate meetings. On east side of road, no hotel or conference buildings...a top deck for car parking. I still wish someone that knows and can be held accountable would confirm this. My thinking is that we may be building a case about trade shows on less than current information.

Tom_Massie writes:

Capt,

When you are told that an agreement that was made in 2001 is no longer going to be adhered to or honored Do you think that the Marriott is going to "honor" any agreement or promise they make now?

Rick Medwedeff has no more power to back up his "present promises" in the future than any other individual. He could be moved elsewhere and then we would have to deal with, in my opinion, another "snake oil" salesperson who claimed to not know or not be around when Rick made his promises.

Do we wait for the trade shows/conventions to happen along with the trucks and traffic congestion and then say "oh I did not think that would happen" or do we do what we can do now to prevent them from happening, period.

Promise or no promise.....they mean nothing in the future.

in response to captnjimbo:

I can understand your concern.

At the first public presentation in November at the Marriott Level 1 was described as the Exhibit Hall Level and the room was labelled "Exhibit Hall".

Last night the same room on the same level was now labeled "Ballroom". There was no change in room location or size, simply a name change.

Quite a marketing slight of hand.

The room specifications will dictate the volume and type of events that can be held in that room...exhibits or ballroom?

I would not dismiss exhibits just because of a room name change.

in response to captnjimbo:

Why not get it directly from the Marco Island Marriott website:

Go to Amenities tab and under the heading of

Business Facilities:

Multiple Small Meeting Rooms
Full-Service Catering & Event Planning
Exhibit Space
Meeting Room Size (feet): 56888
Self Service Business Center
Large Conference Rooms
Meeting Room Size (meters): 5120
A/V Equipment
Conference Center Room
Secretarial Services
Number of Meeting Rooms: 33
Business Center Services

Whoever is your source, this is what the Marriott presents to the event planner: EXHIBIT SPACE.

Their words not mine.

MrBreeze writes:

Having Trade Shows at the Marriott would be a gold mine for the Marriott and the Shaft for Marco Island.

ohbrther writes:

Ok, I don't claim to know all the facts but its here we go, the Marriott is in this for the Marriott not for Marco Island or it's residents full time or seasonal. Doesn't take rocket science to know bigger venues mean more vehicles period. Whoever said something like 2 trucks...what rock are they living under?? Large trucks, small trucks more traffic any way you look at it... and again where will these vehicles park in the interim? How about City Hall?? ...like someone stated before....will the Marriott pay for the replacement of the Smokehouse Bay bridge????? I doubt it very much. If you are a boater and go under that bridge, it will not be able to handle the constant traffic of heavy vehicles, let alone the normal day to day traffic. It gets worse and worse everyday that goes by and something isn't done. I, as a full time resident do not want the Marriot to expand because this is not Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or any other large city in Florida. This is a small island, if Mr. Medwedeff wants a bigger venue ....MOVE TO A BIGGER CITY ....end of story. You can throw all the numbers and facts out there but if you drive around the island at all, especially during season the tractor/trailer trucks will make traffic more unbearable than it already is because most of the visitors have no clue where they are going on the island. So throw in big trucks, seasonal visitors....there will be traffic jams, accidents and especially the wear and tear on the roads. Will the Marriott pay for repaving Collier Blvd?? I think not on that one also. I hope the people that live on the side of the road the Marriott is planning the parking deck fight tooth and nail to make it not happen. If they put it on the ballot so the citizens of Marco can vote on it, you can make sure my spouse and I will vote not to let the Marriott get their way.

Tom_Massie writes:

The reason that Medwedeff needed a second town meeting was because the first town meeting was a bomb for him. He forgot to load the audience with shills who only were there because of the money the Marriott gave to their self interest groups or Chamber of Commerce members who only see $$$$$ signs.

Most of the same things were said at the first meeting as was at the second meeting. Was the second meeting only to make it appear that Marco Island was in favor of the Marriott's wishes to break their signed agreement of 2001. Ask the residents on this island and you will get an entirely different picture. Nice try Rick, but your attempt to put one over on the residents of this beautiful island needs a great deal more practice.

Will anything they, The Marriott, say or promise now be any different than that signed agreement? I think not.

"Were they lying then or are they lying now?"

Don't be fooled into thinking that the Marriott's interest is to improve Marco Island.

I think and hope all who are reading this, see the worms in what you are being fed, know better than that.

harrisbill239#279036 writes:

The Marriott expansion is one of four big ticket items that need to be decided by the citizens - AT REFERENDUM ! We should not allow Rick Medwedeff or our infamous City Council and Planning Board ram these projects down our throats and treat us as if they don't work for us. They do work for us and are accountable to us. The other projects are the Smokehouse Bay Bridge, the Community Center and the "expansion" of the Fire Station. All these items will cost the taxpayers millions upon millions of dollars. Let's demand referendums for all four. Note: referendums in the August primaries are FREE! Another note - eight (8) separate complaints have been filed with the state ethics committee due to the illegal and improper resolutions enacted by this City Council and our (ex) Interim City Manager. When will our city government pay attention and start doing things in the proper manner?