'Best deal in town' – Hundreds turn out for Marco Island Fire-Rescue Foundation pancake breakfast
Published 4/22/2013 at 11:40 a.m. 0 comments
They get such a turnout, said Dianna Dohm, they can't put on the event at the height of the season. The Marco Island Fire-Rescue Foundation held their pancake breakfast on Sunday, inside the fire station on San Marco Road, and ...
Witherspoon 'deeply embarrassed' after arrest
Published 4/22/2013 at 11:28 a.m. 0 comments
The Oscar-winning actress released a statement late Sunday apologizing for her behavior to police that began when her husband, Hollywood agent Jim Toth, was arrested early Friday for driving under the influence of alcohol.
Review: Florida Rep goes back to school with "Educating Rita"
Published 4/22/2013 at 12:31 a.m. 0 comments
Florida Repertory Theatre closed their 2012-13 season Friday with a respectable, if unremarkable, production of "Educating Rita." Willy Russell's two-hander imagines a British college professor tutoring a lower-class student because she wants to know "everything." Both learn a lot!
Chris Silk: Three reasons Kathleen van Bergen is right about Artis-Naples
Published 4/22/2013 at 12:01 a.m. 0 comments
Like the rest of the known universe, I was shocked when I found out that the Naples Philharmonic Center for the Arts was renaming itself as Artis-Naples. What. The. Expletive. Admit it. Some variation of that was on everyone's lips. ...
Review: Island Theater Company finds out just why "Mama Won't Fly"
Published 4/19/2013 at 3:44 p.m. 0 comments
Savannah Honeycutt, Norleen Sprunt and Hayley Quinn (it's the South) are in Birmingham, Ala. Hayley's gettin' hitched in California. There's just one eensy, weeny, teeny, tiny 'lil 'ol problem. Mama won't fly. So, let's drive to the West Coast! In ...
Review: Naples Players sleuth good time with Christie mystery "Mousetrap"
Published 4/19/2013 at 9:33 a.m. 0 comments
Oh, Agatha. Christie of course. Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie, Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire. And author of "The Mousetrap," one of the most famous and celebrated plays in the English language. She might even give that ...
The Bookworm: A life without kids and a life without order
Published 4/18/2013 at 2:10 p.m. 0 comments
This week, two of your friends broke the news: They're pregnant. One's due in October, the other in November. Heavy sigh. It's not exactly that you're anti-kid. No, you like kids … as long as they're not yours, and you're ...
Art news: Jazz kids and improv ops
Published 4/18/2013 at 4:00 a.m. 0 comments
You can risk your pride -- and get the reward of a lot of laughs -- in an improv weekend. Naples Players is looking for a few brave souls to try it.
Review: Broadway Palm celebrates 'the change' in 'Menopause the Musical'
Published 4/15/2013 at 2:15 p.m. 0 comments
Ladies, this one is for you. "Menopause the Musical" runs until May 18. Put down the paper. Call. Now. Grab your sister, your girlfriends and the gals at the office. Group discounts start at 20 people; the drinks are lethal. ...
Review: Silly "Nosemaker's" takes scalpel to society, surgery at Lab Theater
Published 4/13/2013 at 1:51 p.m. 0 comments
Beauty is only skin deep. But don't tell Gavin, the Nosemaker's Apprentice. He's a wizard with a nip of this, a dash of that. Gavin can work medieval medical miracles. Why, the Queen of France parades around in a pair ...
Review: 'Trance' is mind-bending but little else
Published 4/12/2013 at 7:38 a.m. 0 comments
Plot-twisting puzzlers are a bubble market in the movies these days, with an arms race of “Inception”-like reality reversals that flip like a coin until dizzy audiences lose all interest in how it lands.
Review: '42' is classy but tame Robinson tale
Published 4/10/2013 at 6:00 p.m. 0 comments
With an earnest performance by Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson and an enjoyably self-effacing turn by Harrison Ford as Brooklyn Dodgers boss Branch Rickey, "42" hits every button you expect very ably. Yet like a sleepy, low-scoring ballgame, "42" is ...
Review: Gulfshore Playhouse brings Callas to Phil with "Master Class"
Published 4/8/2013 at 10:00 a.m. 0 comments
"Master Class," Terrence McNally's play about the life of opera diva Maria Callas, seems tailor-made to continue the partnership between Gulfshore Playhouse and the Naples Philharmonic. Produced by Gulfshore, performed in the Daniels Pavilion, the show combines a larger-than-life character, ...
Kardashian's maternity woes prompt a style lesson
Published 4/8/2013 at 9:00 a.m. 0 comments
o be stylish and pregnant, you need to embrace your new shape. You have to celebrate it. But you also need to be aware of it, and not keep wearing your regular wardrobe — even if it's a size up.
FYI: Sales and retail happenings in Southwest Florida
Published 4/8/2013 at 8:00 a.m. 0 comments
Sales and new retail goings on
- Jun 11th 2013 GoShots: Marco Chamber's Glory of the…
- Jun 10th 2013 The 2013 Tony Awards
- May 20th 2013 Marco Art Center gets a facelift
- May 13th 2013 Mad Hatter Mother/Daughter Tea Party
- May 9th 2013 MIA does Shakespeare
- May 6th 2013 GoShots: Talk Derby To Me
- May 3rd 2013 MIAAOR After 5
- Apr 22nd 2013 Marco Island Fire/Rescue Pancake…
- Apr 8th 2013 Taste of Marco at the Esplanade, 2013
- Apr 7th 2013 Taste of Marco 2013
- Apr 3rd 2013 My very best: Sue Martin shares her…
- Apr 1st 2013 Spring Jubilee, 2013
- Dec 8th 2011 The Three Stooges (No Rating)
- Sep 22nd 2011 Showcase Plus: Your Weekend Guide
- Nov 5th 2010 New uniforms for the Lely High School…
- Sep 30th 2010 Rockettes: Brittany Lents on her…
- Aug 24th 2010 Cookit! Turtle Tini
- Dec 12th 2009 Iron Chef Marco
- Sep 29th 2009 Marco Island Historical Museum…
- Jan 24th 2009 25th Annual Stan's Mullet Festival
- Apr 27th 2008 2008 Taste of Marco
- Feb 21st 2008 St. Mark's flea market
- Feb 1st 2008 Wet Paint Live
- Nov 5th 2007 Hairball 2007
- Burroughs Home Tours The Burroughs Home & Gardens -- 11 A.M.
- Wine and Food Tasting Old World Market -- 4 P.M.
- EL MORRO - KARAOKE Dance Party El Morro Cuban Cuisine -- 6 P.M.
- Films for Film Lovers “The Wave” Center for the Arts at the Promenade, Bonita Bay -- 7 P.M.
- Karaoke Night Porky's Last Stand, 701 Bald Eagle Drive, Marco Island -- 7 P.M.
- Art exhibit: “Sand, Surf, Summer” Center for the Arts of Bonita Springs -- 10 A.M.
- Films for Film Lovers “The Station Agent” Center for the Arts at the Promenade, Bonita Bay -- 6:30 P.M.
- Alla Prima, Alla Fun! “Koi” Center for the Arts of Bonita Springs -- 6 P.M.
- Films for Film Lovers “Water” Center for the Arts at the Promenade, Bonita Bay -- 6:30 P.M.
- Thomas A. Edison Black Maria Film Festival Edison and Ford Winter Estates -- 7:30 P.M.