CJ's celebrates fifth year at 'the heart of the rock'
Published 9/23/2013 at 11:14 a.m. 0 comments
It was a birthday party for a five-year-old, but the guests were doing more than a little drinking. CJ's on the Bay celebrated five years on Marco Island on Sunday afternoon, with a party around the outside bar in the ...
WINE & DINE: Marriott's Kurrents holds dinner to highlight food pairings with NZ wines
Published 9/19/2013 at 11:41 a.m. 0 comments
To the great wine producing regions of the world, make a mental note to add one you may not have considered – New Zealand. The island nation on the other side of the globe is creating noble vintages in many ...
The Bookworm: Experiencing the slide – Dealing with dementia
Published 9/19/2013 at 10:04 a.m. 0 comments
You can't fix everything. That's a hard lesson to learn, no matter who you are. You can't swoop in and make things right when they're not yours to correct. You can't throw money at something to make it go away, ...
Family Fun this week with Leigh Tahirovic
Published 9/17/2013 at 1:41 p.m. 0 comments
Entertaining kids can be hard in SWFL and, as a mom of two little ones, I have the local know-how to help parents and grandparents entertain all ages, from tots to teen.
Joel, Santana to receive Kennedy Center Honors
Published 9/12/2013 at 3:10 p.m. 0 comments
Acclaimed actress Shirley MacLaine and four musicians spanning rock, jazz and opera — Billy Joel, Carlos Santana, Herbie Hancock and Martina Arroyo — will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, considered the nation's highest honor for those who influence American ...
Review: Ghostbird soars with "Miss Julie" and a lovesick Swedish crash
Published 9/12/2013 at 2:30 p.m. 0 comments
Ghostbird Theatre Company's sophomore season took flight in style Wednesday. Brittney Brady's audacious production of August Strindberg's 1888 one-act "Miss Julie" bears all the hallmarks of her avant-garde style, from white-box style to literal knife-edge emotional brutality.
Marco Island Center for the Arts buzzes with activity on a summer evening
Published 9/12/2013 at 11:43 a.m. 0 comments
There was a lot going on Tuesday evening at the Marco Island Center for the Arts. For starters, the regular "Second Tuesday" opening reception for the gallery's exhibits bore the tantalizing title "Salon de Garage," featuring a sale of artwork ...
Art & Antiques: Fielding your antiques questions
Published 9/3/2013 at 3:03 p.m. 0 comments
I share advice about art, antiques, and the appraisal of personal property in this column and at my public events hosted worldwide. Here are a few questions from the field. Question: What is the best way to find that valuable ...
The Book Worm: Real-life mysteries and eye openers
Published 9/3/2013 at 9:47 a.m. 0 comments
Everything you believe is wrong. There are, for instance, no alligators living in the sewers of New York. Elvis is not alive and living near a burger joint in Michigan. Head colds are not caused by walking in the snow, ...
Playin' it 'to the Hilt': Musician Jeff Hilt gives Marco some island music
Published 9/2/2013 at 10:13 a.m. 0 comments
It could have been a slow night at the Old Marco Pub & Restaurant, before the 22 ladies in the bachelorette party showed up. It was August on Marco Island, and the rain was coming down, sometimes in a drizzle ...
Book Review: 'Deceived' – Randy Wayne White returns to Marco Island for signing
Published 8/28/2013 at 10:34 a.m. 0 comments
Nearly 26 years ago, New York Times bestselling author Randy Wayne White kicked off his Doc Ford series with the publication of Sanibel Flats, which was chosen by the American Independent Mystery Booksellers Association as one of the Hundred Favorite ...
The Book Worm: Bait and switch – The hunters and the hunted
Published 8/27/2013 at 3:02 p.m. 0 comments
You always expect the best care. When you need service, you want a top-notch mechanic, banker, jeweler, or cashier. You patronize knowledgeable people that put the customer (you!) first. And that goes doubly for your health-care provider. When you're sick
Seminole Museum field trip: Sign up by Sept. 1
Published 8/26/2013 at 3:25 p.m. 0 comments
Join the Marco Island Historical Society on a field trip to the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum on the Big Cypress Indian Reservation of the Seminole Tribe of Florida on Sept. 7.
Bookworm: Country gardening and man's best friend
Published 8/20/2013 at 3:43 p.m. 0 comments
“To Eat: A Country Life” by Joe Eck and Wayne Winterrowd c.2013, Farrar, Straus and Giroux $25.00/$29.00 Canada 194 pages
Best-selling author Elmore Leonard dies at 87
Published 8/20/2013 at 10:12 a.m. 0 comments
Elmore Leonard often wrote about Detroit, where he lived for most of his life.
- Mar 3rd 2014 Frankenstein at Marco Lutheran
- Feb 13th 2014 Wet Paint Live, 2014
- Dec 2nd 2013 Marco Island tree lighting, 2013
- Nov 22nd 2013 Arturo's After Five
- Nov 4th 2013 Family Fun this week w/ Leigh Tahirovic
- Oct 28th 2013 Spooktacular, Mackle Park, 2013
- Oct 11th 2013 Sunrise/Sunset at Art Center, Marco…
- Sep 26th 2013 ERICH KUNZEL SERIES STARS
- Sep 24th 2013 CJ's B'Day
- Sep 24th 2013 Family Fun this week with Leigh…
- Sep 20th 2013 GoShots: Wine, food pairings event at…
- Sep 13th 2013 GoShots: Salon de Garage
- Dec 8th 2011 The Three Stooges (No Rating)
- Sep 22nd 2011 Showcase Plus: Your Weekend Guide
- Nov 5th 2010 New uniforms for the Lely High School…
- Sep 30th 2010 Rockettes: Brittany Lents on her…
- Aug 24th 2010 Cookit! Turtle Tini
- Dec 12th 2009 Iron Chef Marco
- Sep 29th 2009 Marco Island Historical Museum…
- Jan 24th 2009 25th Annual Stan's Mullet Festival
- Apr 27th 2008 2008 Taste of Marco
- Feb 21st 2008 St. Mark's flea market
- Feb 1st 2008 Wet Paint Live
- Nov 5th 2007 Hairball 2007
- EL MORRO - KARAOKE Dance Party El Morro Cuban Cuisine -- 6 P.M.
- Karaoke Night Porky's Last Stand, 701 Bald Eagle Drive, Marco Island -- 7 P.M.
- "Lady with all the Answers" - An evening with Ann Landers Golden Gate Community Center -- 8 P.M.
- Wine and Food Tasting Old World Market -- 4 P.M.
- Art at The Marco Players The Marco Players Theater -- 8 P.M.