No-taxing times: Florida tax-free, back-to-school shopping under way
Published 8/3/2012 at 6:00 a.m. 0 comments
Students who have had their eyes on a cool backpack or new pair of sneakers now have some bargaining power with parents.
Tax on school supplies, clothing take a holiday this weekend
Published 7/31/2012 at 7:00 a.m. 0 comments
The tax-free weekend means certain items under $75 will be charged without state sales taxes at retailers, including clothing and footwear, along with school supplies priced less than $15. Tax-free items also exclude certain sporting goods.
Q&A: Schools Super Patton talks testing, budgets and the future
Published 7/10/2012 at 5:30 a.m. 0 comments
The Daily News recently sat down with Patton to talk about her first year, the budget and testing challenges the district faces, and her hopes for Collier students.
Collier School Board proposes contract extension for Superintendent Patton
Published 6/13/2012 at 7:00 a.m. 2 comments
The contract extension is a result of Pattons positive one-year evaluation. Board members rated Patton on eight goals, including communication, governance, and community partnerships. She exceeded board ex
2 Collier principals removed as summer shuffle begins
Published 6/13/2012 at 6:00 a.m. 0 comments
Superintendent Kamela Patton also hired Fred Conde, a former colleague from Miami-Dade County Public Schools, to serve as the districts assistant superintendent.
Marco kids celebrate end of school year at 'Beach Bash'
Updated 6/11/2012 at 3:36 p.m. 0 comments
Marco schoolchildren unwind by the ocean.
Area students recognize teachers, support staff
Published 6/11/2012 at 3:00 p.m. 1 comment
The students at Marco area schools selected their top teacher and support person in the closing days of school, with the awards presented bygthe Marco Island Area Chamber of Commerce and the Naples Daily News.
PHOTOS: Marco Island middle schoolers celebrate "Beach Bash"
Published 6/8/2012 at 2:48 a.m. 0 comments
Marco Island middle schoolers gathered on South Beach Wednesday afternoon for the city's "Beach Bash," celebrating the end of the school year.
Collier, Lee students score near state average on FCAT reading and math tests
Published 6/6/2012 at 6:00 a.m. 2 comments
Collier fourth graders scored higher than Florida fourth graders as a whole with 61 percent of Collier students passing the reading test and 59 percent passing the math test. Collier scores in grades five th
2012 Lely High School Graduates
Published 6/2/2012 at 4:00 a.m. 0 comments
Eugenia Ferrell, Assistant Principal of Attendance and Discipline, and Jon Bremseth, Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction, conferred degrees on Lely graduates Friday evening at Alico Arena.
Collier grads prepare for new beginning celebrate a little first
Updated 6/1/2012 at 8:44 p.m. 0 comments
If we have the determination to be the best, we will always succeed, said Emily Caputo who plans to attend Harvard University. Our class showed the commitment and perseverance that will serve us well in the comi
Authors and Artists: TBE event showcases children's talents and professional role models
Published 5/24/2012 at 3:48 p.m. 0 comments
Authors and Artists Night pulled a crowd that might be envied by a county fair. Before you even reached the school, the sound of the Marco Island Strummers, a dozen strong, serenading the arriving families out front gave the proceedings ...
Marco Island City Council opens with Marco Island Academy report; close with advisory committee selections
Published 5/24/2012 at 3:40 p.m. 21 comments
[No Paragraph Style]BC BodycopyNaysayers were nowhere to be found Monday as Jane Watt gave City Council her first year report on the Marco Island Academy. Critics dogged the fledgling charter high school from its inception. The report by Watt, chairwoman
30 Years Ago: New golf course planned near Eagle Creek
Published 5/18/2012 at 3:00 a.m. 0 comments
In the Marco Island Eagle 30 years ago it was announced that a new golf course is being planned adjacent to Eagle Creek Golf Club.
Principal for a day: Commissioner Fiala interns at Tommie Barfield Elementary on Marco Island
Published 5/17/2012 at 5:04 p.m. 7 comments
Tommie Barfield Elementary got a new principal this week – briefly. Collier County Commissioner Donna Fiala served as “principal for a day” Tuesday morning, but actual TBE principal Dr. Jory Westberry not only didn’t have to worry about job security, ...
- May 9th 2013 MIA does Shakespeare
- Apr 18th 2013 Marco Island Academy ribbon cutting
- Apr 7th 2013 Project Prom Dress 2013
- Mar 2nd 2013 Lely students partner with Discovery…
- Feb 20th 2013 Marco Island Academy Construction
- Nov 20th 2012 "Boogie and Blues"
- Oct 5th 2012 Marco Academy Homecoming
- Aug 20th 2012 Back to School on Marco Island
- Jun 8th 2012 Marco Island Middle School Beach Bash…
- May 17th 2012 Donna Fiala is principal for a day at…
- May 8th 2012 Collier school board approves $16.5…
- Apr 26th 2012 Marco students tour Holocaust…
- Jun 1st 2011 New Superintendent gives press…
- Nov 5th 2010 New uniforms for the Lely High School…
- Jun 3rd 2009 TBE clap out
- Apr 21st 2009 TBE receives Flip Video from Marco Eagle
- Apr 21st 2009 TBE students visit Marco Eagle
- Mar 26th 2009 Marco charter high school proposal
- Mar 23rd 2009 Students speak on a Marco charter…
- Mar 12th 2009 Interview with Lely's Don Stewart
- Feb 26th 2009 Marco resident and Lely freshman Alex…
- Feb 26th 2009 Lely instructor on Marco's students
- Feb 3rd 2009 Interview with Mario Sanchez
- Jan 21st 2009 Terri DiSciullo on Tract K solar