Collier commissioners: Go full speed ahead in getting permit to clear Clam Pass
Published 1/23/2013 at 5:35 a.m. 0 comments
Paperwork could be filed by week's end to get a fast-track environmental permit to dredge a closed North Naples inlet following a vote Tuesday by Collier County commissioners.
Gardening: Planting your poinsettias
Published 1/17/2013 at 10:08 a.m. 0 comments
Our weather feels more like March than January! I think we are in for a warm winter this year. Many plants will be confused by this and can produce tender new growth or begin flowering early which could lead to ...
When the smoke clears: Marco Island Brewery hosts Police Foundation rib cook-off
Updated 1/14/2013 at 2:44 p.m. 1 comment
As volunteer gigs go, being the judge for a barbecue ribs cookoff has to be one of the best. Saturday afternoon, judges Monte Lazarus, Kevin Donlan, Jerry Gibson, Tim Navin and Joe Granda sat at a long table outside the ...
About 800 hunters set out as Florida ‘python challenge’ gets under way
Updated 1/12/2013 at 8:31 p.m. 0 comments
Florida sounded the starting gun Saturday for hundreds of python hunters to venture into the Everglades for a first-of-its-kind quest to round up the non-native scourge to the South Florida environment.
Stone crabs: Good tourist weather is bad sign for crabbers
Published 12/24/2012 at 5:30 a.m. 0 comments
The problem for stone crabbers is the same thing that makes tourists happy — gorgeous weather.
Marco Island Code Enforcement Board deals with destruction of gopher tortoise burrows
Published 12/13/2012 at 1:49 p.m. 4 comments
Marcos Code Enforcement Board often takes up the cases of residences fallen into disrepair, with the possibility of becoming unsafe for the occupants. Tuesday, that was once again the focus of the CEB meeting in city council chambers, but in ...
Money python: State contest offers rewards in 2013 python hunt in Everglades
Published 12/9/2012 at 7:00 a.m. 0 comments
Florida is turning to cold hard cash to lure adventure seekers into the Everglades to bag a Burmese python, the state's slithering non-native enemy No. 1.
Researchers studying what's killing catfish near Marco Island
Published 12/1/2012 at 7:00 a.m. 3 comments
Florida wildlife researchers are trying to get to the bottom of what killed clusters of catfish in waters around Marco Island last week.
Local students participate in beach clean-up
Published 11/27/2012 at 3:00 a.m. 0 comments
Instead of sand and water meeting at a single edge, a sand bank attached to land at one end and open at the other has formed on the beach in front of Marco Island's Marriott. The new topography is called ...
Low red tide levels still linger off Marco Island
Published 11/16/2012 at 6:00 p.m. 0 comments
A lingering red tide seems to be concentrated around Marco Island this week, Collier County pollution monitors reported Friday.
Fall growing reaps bountiful harvests
Published 11/16/2012 at 3:00 a.m. 0 comments
Now's the time to plant a garden.
Collier commissioner makes move to assure Hideaway Beach erosion money remains
Published 11/14/2012 at 5:20 a.m. 3 comments
The vote went the way Collier County Commissioner Donna Fiala wanted Tuesday. Her strategic motion to reconsider a 4-1 vote to spend $925,000 in tourist taxes to fight erosion on a stretch of Hideaway Beach on Marco Island failed, just ...
Fiala plans tactical move to preserve county grant to restore Hideaway Beach
Published 11/13/2012 at 5:00 a.m. 0 comments
It's all about strategy. Strategy is behind a move by Collier County Commissioner Donna Fiala to ask for reconsideration of a 4-1 vote to spend $925,000 in tourist taxes to fight erosion on a stretch of Hideaway Beach on Marco ...
Environmental groups pushing for greater sea turtle protection along beaches
Published 11/5/2012 at 5:30 a.m. 0 comments
A renewed push for habitat protections for Florida's sea turtles is putting the ancient creatures on a crash course with fishermen and beach restoration advocates.
Hideaway Beach renourishment approved for now
Published 11/1/2012 at 3:53 p.m. 3 comments
There was really only one point up for discussion at Tuesdays meeting of the Hideaway Beach Special Tax District meeting at City Hall.
- Apr 14th 2014 Bay Days, Tigertail, 2014
- Jan 19th 2014 Rookery Bay Nature Festival
- Jan 14th 2014 Loggerhead turtle released into Ten…
- Nov 4th 2013 Breakfast and Birds, 2013
- Oct 1st 2013 Estuaries Day 2013
- Sep 23rd 2013 Coastal Cleanup, Marco Island
- Sep 16th 2013 'Turtle Lady' Mary Nelson
- Jun 24th 2013 Marco Island Beach Cleanup, June 2013
- Apr 11th 2013 Marco beach renourishment projects
- Apr 3rd 2013 South Marco Beach renourishment project
- Mar 21st 2013 Fakahatchee Cruise, 2013
- Mar 15th 2013 Dead manatee found on Marco beach
- Dec 4th 2010 Palmetto Ridge students adopt a canal
- Aug 31st 2010 BP oil spill turtles get new home in…
- Aug 15th 2010 Crane tips, barge sinks causing Marco…
- Jun 15th 2010 RAW VIDEO: Peacock stuck in tree
- Feb 19th 2010 Dramatic manatee recovery
- Jul 31st 2009 Replanting the historic mound
- Jul 26th 2009 Python hunt in Everglades
- Mar 12th 2009 Jack Moran on the excavation of…
- Mar 12th 2009 Final flight, crash of the Flying Fifty
- Mar 5th 2009 Derelict boat removal
- Apr 3rd 2008 Rescuers remove 8-foot python
- Nov 26th 2007 Gumbo Limbo tree takes a boat ride