Concerned over building inspections, construction trades pack Marco Island City Council meeting
Published 6/19/2013 at 3:28 p.m. 1 comment
Monday afternoon, the Marco Island City Council chambers were packed with a standing-room-only crowd as the meeting began, largely made up of people who generally do not attend council meetings. The audience was heavy on bluejeans, deep tans and company ...
Church Lady: Deacons, a blessing to serve
Published 6/19/2013 at 9:35 a.m. 0 comments
What is a deacon? The Church Lady ponders the question.
Ask The Pharmacist: Can your pet cause illness?
Published 6/18/2013 at 9:33 a.m. 0 comments
Question: I read your article on Bartonella, and how pets can indirectly give it to you. What other diseases do pets transmit? Are there antibiotics? – S.J., Orlando, Florida Answer: Great question since pet lovers don't connect their illness to ...
Author, author: Marco Islanders publish a pair of new books
Published 6/17/2013 at 11:59 a.m. 1 comment
Two new books by Marco Island authors couldn't be more different, yet they share some similarities, as well. Tom Williams, with two novels to his credit, has written a non-fiction book, a historical look at the early days of the ...
FAA: Group must get new planes to guide whooping cranes to Florida
Published 6/15/2013 at 3:55 p.m. 0 comments
Operation Migration, which uses ultralight planes to lead endangered whooping cranes from Wisconsin to Florida for the winter, ran into trouble with the FAA because it pays salaries to pilots. FAA regulations say sport planes — a category that sometimes ...
Cracking down: Marco Island Code Enforcement Board signals new 'get tough' attitude
Published 6/13/2013 at 11:48 a.m. 36 comments
Right now is probably not the best time to be brought up in front of Marco Island's Code Enforcement Board, if you are a property owner who has failed to make required repairs, or especially if you are a landlord ...
A common thread: Goodland couple opens their home to teach sewing and more to underprivileged girls
Published 6/13/2013 at 11:05 a.m. 0 comments
The girls traveled a great distance to get some sewing instruction – and not just in miles. Five young ladies, with their two chaperones, came down from their homes in Athens, Georgia, to the Goodland home of Donna and James ...
Marco Chamber hosts Glory of the Grape
Updated 6/11/2013 at 5:19 p.m. 0 comments
Islanders enjoyed the Glory of the Grape, an annual fundraiser for the Marco Island Chamber of Commerce, with samplings from the Pacific Northwest.
Ask The Pharmacist: Help for all things female
Published 6/11/2013 at 5:00 p.m. 0 comments
Question: Please help me and my daughter. I have hot flashes, what is the best herbal supplement to help with that? Are there any home remedies for UTIs (urinary tract infections), and finally, what can my daughter do for bloating ...
Marco Planning Board considers options for beaches and restaurants
Published 6/11/2013 at 4:00 a.m. 7 comments
At Friday’s meeting of the Marco Island Planning Board, there were enough city councilors present that it could have been a city council meeting, too. With councilors Larry Honig, Larry Sacher, Ken Honecker and Amadeo Petricca all sitting in the ...
Robert Kennedy Jr.: Environmental concerns in water dispute
Published 6/7/2013 at 1:14 p.m. 0 comments
Environmental activist Robert Kennedy Jr. said in an interview that environmental concerns do not get enough attention in the conflict over water usage in the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee and Flint rivers, which serve all three states.
Is Big Data turning government into 'Big Brother'?
Published 6/7/2013 at 12:49 p.m. 0 comments
The revelations that the National Security Agency is perusing millions of U.S. customer phone records at Verizon Communications and snooping on the digital communications stored by nine major Internet services illustrate how aggressively personal data is being collected and analyzed.
Published 6/6/2013 at 10:33 a.m. 0 comments
Updates on happenings are Marco Island houses of worship.
Dressed for service: Area pastors, priests share the significance of color
Published 6/6/2013 at 10:30 a.m. 0 comments
The Church Lady writes about the houses of worship on Marco Island.
84-year-old widow from Zephyrhills claims $590M Powerball jackpot
Updated 6/5/2013 at 6:22 p.m. 0 comments
The Florida Lottery said Gloria C. Mackenzie, an 84-year-old widow from Zephyrhills, Fla., has claimed the $590 million Powerball jackpot.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Reporting back from the Annual League of Cities Conference in Orlando Wayne's World | Posted 8/19/2009 at 4:39 p.m. 0 comments
- Jun 13th 2013 Common Threads, Goodland
- May 28th 2013 Memorial Day, Marco Island, 2013
- May 23rd 2013 May After Five, Marco Island Chamber
- May 22nd 2013 Debate over proposed community center…
- May 22nd 2013 Realtor lunch features Marco Island…
- May 20th 2013 Marco Art Center gets a facelift
- May 20th 2013 Hilton earns Diamond Award, 2013
- May 20th 2013 Capri Fire Advisory Committee pushes…
- May 15th 2013 Marco Island Code Compliance Board
- May 9th 2013 MIA does Shakespeare
- May 6th 2013 GoShots: Talk Derby To Me
- May 6th 2013 Marco Island Planning Board
- Apr 3rd 2013 MLK Memory: Don Hunter
- Dec 3rd 2012 2012 Volunteer of the Year: Bill Filbin
- Dec 3rd 2012 2012 Citizen of the Year: Dave Rice
- Dec 3rd 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award: Tarik Ayasun
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Citizen of the Year
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Volunteer of the Year
- Aug 25th 2011 NewsMakers: Don Hunter, Part 1
- Aug 24th 2011 NewsMakers: Don Hunter, Part 2
- Jun 1st 2011 New Superintendent gives press…
- Dec 6th 2010 Stan Gober award
- Dec 6th 2010 Mike Minozzi award