The 'merit' of digging: Sifting through Marco Island's past, Boy Scouts become archaeologists
Published 4/17/2014 at 8:18 a.m. 0 comments
The section of the island is called "Old Marco," and the name may be more apt than many people realize. Just steps away from the Snook Inn at the north end of Bald Eagle Drive, Gene Erjavec led a group ...
Recreation committee polishes referendum wording on new Mackle Park center
Published 4/16/2014 at 1:38 p.m. 4 comments
Marco Island's Parks and Recreation Committee wants the up or down vote on a new Mackle Park Community Center to be cut-and-dried. On Tuesday, board members prepared their version of the question to present to Marco Island's City Council. Discussion ...
Ask The Pharmacist: Six healthy options to curb your hunger
Published 4/15/2014 at 2:26 p.m. 0 comments
Question: I am 90 pounds overweight and just began taking the medication Xenical. Is there another drug that works better than this? Are there any supplements you recommend? – J.M., Dallas, Texas
Real estate to the 'Max': Re/Max office celebrates a banner year
Published 4/14/2014 at 12:29 p.m. 4 comments
Local Re/Max real estate associates have a lot of reasons to celebrate – about 430,000,000 of them. That figure, $430 million, is the total dollar volume for the brokerage group as a whole last year.
Marco Relay for Life: Annual walk 'on track' to set new record
Published 4/14/2014 at 11:56 a.m. 0 comments
With their legs a little heavier, but their hearts – and wallets – a little lighter, Marco Island has put another Relay for Life into the record books.
Bay Days: Cleaning up Tigertail
Published 4/14/2014 at 11:18 a.m. 0 comments
The Friends Of Tigertail Beach once again called on volunteers to help clean up Tigertail Beach on Saturday, at the annual Bay Days cleanup event. Garbage bags and work gloves were provided courtesy of Keep Collier Beautiful.
Not an island unto ourselves: Marco residents use their influence on county boards
Published 4/14/2014 at 10:16 a.m. 0 comments
If sitting through Marco Island City Council or Planning Board meetings isn't enough, many residents of the island volunteer to serve for hours, weeks and years on county advisory boards as island representatives.
Marco Island's annual Easter Sunrise Service beckons the faithful
Published 4/11/2014 at 4:00 a.m. 11 comments
They prepare in the wee early mornings, in the quiet solitude of their homes. The only light coming from an iPad or computer screen. They listen and reflect, thinking of God and his resurrection. For three Island clergymen, it's a ...
Marco Relay for Life: All-night walk moves to Mackle Park, with help from many
Updated 4/10/2014 at 10:43 a.m. 2 comments
Cancer is both personal and universal. It attacks people one by one, disrupting the normal functioning of the body, but also unites people through their shared response. Everyone, it seems, has been touched by this deadly disease, has a loved ...
Marco Island's arts organizations unite to build a stronger, more powerful bond
Published 4/10/2014 at 10:20 a.m. 1 comment
The newly formed Cultural Alliance of Marco Island and Goodland wants to prove there's more strength in numbers. Its goal, "to speak with a unified voice in the community, the media and local government," may be the linchpin needed for ...
Ask The Pharmacist: A dozen ways to reduce chronic pain
Published 4/8/2014 at 4:06 p.m. 1 comment
Question: I have chronic pain and take ibuprofen daily plus hydrocodone and celecoxib. I'm willing to do anything right now that could help. The craziest thing is that nothing happened to me, I just developed pain over the years, no ...
Honoring Mother Earth: Conservancy to celebrate its 50 anniversary with Earth Day Festival
Published 4/7/2014 at 5:32 p.m. 0 comments
It's a different kind of Mother's Day. As it celebrates its 50th anniversary in existence, the Conservancy of Southwest Florida will host an Earth Day Festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April, 19 at 1495 Smith Preserve ...
200 cyclists enjoy 4th annual Tour de Marco
Published 4/7/2014 at 11:57 a.m. 0 comments
What is a cycling event without a scandal? In the aftermath of the fourth annual Tour de Marco on Sunday morning, controversy reared its head.
Marco Fire Foundation holds community pancake breakfast
Published 4/7/2014 at 10:55 a.m. 1 comment
The community turned out for a pancake breakfast Sunday at the Marco Island Fire Station. The event was a fundraiser for the Marco Island Fire Rescue Foundation.
Entering the artistic big leagues: Marco Island festival benefits Art Center
Published 4/7/2014 at 10:33 a.m. 0 comments
Marco Island boasts many exhibits, galleries, and shows – opportunities to "expose yourself to art," as the saying goes – but over the weekend, the island took a step into the big leagues of art.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Reporting back from the Annual League of Cities Conference in Orlando Wayne's World | Posted 8/19/2009 at 4:39 p.m. 0 comments
- Apr 14th 2014 Re/Max Awards, Marco Island, 2014
- Apr 14th 2014 Relay for Life, Marco Island, 2014
- Apr 14th 2014 Bay Days, Tigertail, 2014
- Apr 7th 2014 Tour de Marco 2014
- Apr 7th 2014 Festival of the Arts, Marco Island, 2014
- Apr 3rd 2014 Business Expo, Marco Island, 2014
- Mar 31st 2014 Marco Island Seafood & Music Fest, 2014
- Mar 27th 2014 Enchantments exhibit
- Mar 20th 2014 Spaghetti dinner, Marco Island, 2014
- Mar 20th 2014 Mutts & Martinis, Marco Island, 2014
- Mar 17th 2014 Bridge Run, Marco Island, 2014
- Mar 17th 2014 Nest Fest, 2014
- Apr 3rd 2013 MLK Memory: Don Hunter
- Dec 3rd 2012 2012 Volunteer of the Year: Bill Filbin
- Dec 3rd 2012 2012 Citizen of the Year: Dave Rice
- Dec 3rd 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award: Tarik Ayasun
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Citizen of the Year
- Dec 5th 2011 Marco Island Volunteer of the Year
- Aug 25th 2011 NewsMakers: Don Hunter, Part 1
- Aug 24th 2011 NewsMakers: Don Hunter, Part 2
- Jun 1st 2011 New Superintendent gives press…
- Dec 6th 2010 Stan Gober award
- Dec 6th 2010 Mike Minozzi award