From "Images of America: Bonita Springs" book: "Harold Crant and his wife opened the original Shell Factory. The couple, originally from Nova Scotia, fell in love with Bonita Springs during a 1938 winter vacation here. "The Shell Factory soon became one of the largest businesses in Bonita Springs, employing 50 people. Many others in the community who made or sold supplies for the factory also depended on it for their livelihoods." The building burned down in on New Year's Eve in 1951. The Shell Factory was rebuilt in North Fort Myers. Photo courtesy of the Bonita Springs Historical Society.