CLOSE

Kevin Spacey was accused by more than a dozen men who say he sexually harassed and attempted to rape them decades ago. USA TODAY

LINKEDIN 22 COMMENTMORE

To date, 15 men have revealed sexual misconduct by Kevin Spacey since Oct. 29, when his first accuser, Rent and Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp, came forward. Since then, he's lost roles in his Netflix series House of Cards, the Sony film All the Money in the World as well as his agent and publicist.

The latest developments as they happen:

Photos of Kevin Spacey at rehab clinic surface in 'Us Weekly' 

On Monday morning, Us Weekly published what it says are the first photos of Spacey taken at The Meadows, a renowned rehabilitation clinic in Wickenburg, Ariz.,  known for treating sexual addiction.

Photographers snapped photos of the 58-year-old Oscar winner walking around the grounds of the clinic. One shot showed him in a baseball hat, sunglasses and jacket as he carried a yoga mat; another showed him with a book. 

On Nov. 1, Spacey's then-publicist Staci Wolfe told USA TODAY that he would be "taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment."

Meadows' sex rehab founder defends program to CBS News: It's 'not a vacation'

Patrick Carnes, a Ph.D. who founded Gentle Path at The Meadows, defended his facility in a CBS Morning News story questioning whether sex addiction is real or an excuse for celebrities like Spacey and Harvey Weinstein to retreat from public life.

"Whenever there is a scientific breakthrough, there's controversy," he told correspondent Jamie Yuccas. The reality is, the evidence for the brain disease of addiction is overwhelming."

Sex rehab explained: What does 'treatment' for Spacey, Weinstein entail?

CBS noted that patients pay $58,000 for a 45-day voluntary stay at Gentle Path. They are asked to remain celibate for eight weeks, during which time, they analyze their sexual fantasies and devise ways to resist relapsing. Treatment can include group therapy, meditation, journaling, trauma work (in which they examine their childhood for clues to their current behavior) and neurofeedback.

"It's not a vacation," Carnes insisted. "It's like boot camp," adding that the work is far from over when clients finish in-patient treatment. He told CBS it can take up to five years of extensive therapy to successfully rewire an addict's brain.

Though he declined to offer statistics on success and relapse rates, he said all the headlines are good for the burgeoning field of sex addiction, which he helped pioneer in the early 1980s. However, it's still not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as a mental illness.

"I think this'll be one of the most significant periods in our history," Carnes concluded. "The good news is this conversation."

Plummer begins shooting Spacey's 'All the Money' role on Nov. 20

Christopher Plummer, who has been tapped to take over the role of J. Paul Getty from Spacey in the upcoming Sony film All the Money in the World, commented on the sexual-misconduct scandal that brought on the last-minute recasting.

“I think it’s very sad what happened to him," Plummer, 87, told Vanity Fair at Sunday's premiere of his current project, The Man Who Invented Christmas. "Kevin is such a talented and a terrifically gifted actor, and it’s so sad. It’s such a shame.”

Plummer, who said he was originally in contention for the role before it went to Spacey, told the magazine he is set to begin a 10-day reshooting marathon on Nov. 20. 

"It's not really replacing him — it's starting all over again," he noted, adding that he has not been in contact with Spacey since the casting change was announced on Nov. 9.

All the Money in the World, which recounts the 1973 kidnapping of Getty's grandson, is due Dec. 22. 

Last week, the American Film Institute announced the movie would no longer get the prestigious closing-night slot on Nov. 16. On Sunday, AFI unveiled its replacement: Aaron Sorkin's directorial debut, Molly's Game, starring Jessica Chastain.

More:Why Aaron Sorkin wouldn't write a crude Nicole Kidman sex scene

Old Vic chief: I was 'unaware' of Spacey's alleged behavior, 'sick' about it now

Sally Greene, the chief executive of London's Old Vic theater, where Spacey was once artistic director and where his behavior is now under investigation, declared Monday that she didn't know anything about the allegations against the man she hired, and she is shocked, appalled and nauseated about them now. 

Speaking publicly for the first time, she posted a statement online and on social media Friday. 

"I have championed the Old Vic for 20 years, and it makes me sick to my stomach to think that people may have suffered from harassment or abuse as a result of their association with the theater," she said her her statement. "I would like to make it clear that prior to the emergence of these recent claims, I was unaware of any allegations involving Kevin Spacey, or any form of sexual impropriety, whether connected to the Old Vic or not."

She said the Old Vic has set up a panel of outside advisors to review the theater’s involvement with Spacey and respond to complaints that emerge about his conduct. "I cannot comment on that investigation while the process is ongoing," her statement said. 

Spacey was the theater's artistic director from 2004 to 2015, during which time, she was "obviously pleased" with the critically acclaimed performances he put on and welcomed the "added profile" he brought to the theater.

But she distanced herself from him, saying she hardly knew him when she hired him, noting, "Our relationship was purely professional and I would not consider myself ever
to have been close to him on a personal level."

Roberto Cavazos, a Mexican actor who was at the Old Vic at the time, said in a Spanish-language Facebook post last month that Spacey fondled or tried to fondle him against his will, and that Spacey made other people at the theater uncomfortable with his behavior. 

Exclusive: 15th accuser tells of 1981 'wordless' assault, then 'scary anger'

On Friday, USA TODAY exclusively reported the earliest-known allegation against Spacey. Andy Holtzman said a 22-year-old Spacey "wordlessly" assaulted him at the New York Shakespeare Festival's Public Theater in 1981.

"Within minutes, wordlessly, he was up and all over me," Holtzman, now a 64-year-old marketing consultant, recalled. "The aggression was certainly more than a grope. When I was finally able to push him off and scream (at him), he theatrically stepped back, incredibly angry, grabbed his coat and bag, stormed out and slammed the door."

Holtzman said the encounter, which happened when he was 27, left him more stunned than traumatized. He was gay and comfortable with his sexuality but said he wasn't interested in Spacey, who was then in the closet. He couldn't fathom why the actor would do such a thing to him and then react the way he did when he was rebuffed. 

"It was the look on his face that was really shocking and then scary," Holtzman said. "The anger was undeserved. If you ask for something and get a no, then I can understand the anger, but you ask for nothing and then try to take everything? Where is that anger coming from?"

List:All of the men who have accused Kevin Spacey of sexual misconduct

If you have ever experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct while working in the entertainment industry, we’d like to hear from you. Send us a secure tip using the instructions at newstips.usatoday.com.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

 

LINKEDIN 22 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2ibmjT8