Harvey Weinstein opened the flood gates. Time
A national uproar has erupted after revelations of years of sexual abuse by powerful Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. It has prompted more women to go public with their experiences of men exploiting positions of power, and some men in the business, technology and media worlds are being held accountable.
Here is a list of powerful men outside of Hollywood who have either lost their jobs or faced other consequences after being accused of harassment or sexual misconduct since the Weinstein scandal broke:
Minnesota Senator Al Franken apologized Thursday after a Los Angeles radio anchor accused him of forcibly kissing her during a 2006 USO tour and of posing for a photo with his hands on her breasts as she slept. (Nov. 16) AP
• Work: U.S. Senator for Minnesota, Democrat; former Saturday Night Live actor and writer
• Accusations: TV host and broadcaster Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of kissing and groping her without her consent while on a USO tour in the Middle East in 2006. Tweeden wrote in an online post: He "put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth." She also tweeted an incriminating photograph. A second woman, Lindsay Menz, told CNN the senator pulled her in close and grabbed her buttocks while the two were posing for a picture at the Minnesota State Fair in 2010.
• Consequence: The Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate have both asked the Senate Ethics Committee to review the allegations. Franken apologized to Tweeden in a written statement and promised to cooperate with any investigation into the matter.
• Franken said: “The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women,” Franken wrote in a statement. “I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.”
• Work: Candidate for U.S. Senate for Alabama, Republican
• Accusations: Eight women accuse Moore of a range of inappropriate conduct, ranging from unwanted attention to sexual misconduct and assault. Most of the incidents took place when Moore was assistant district attorney in Gadsden from 1977 to 1982. One woman, Leigh Corfman, said she was 14 when Moore, then 32, took her to his home, undressed her and guided her hand over his crotch. The legal age of consent, then and now, is 16.
• Consequence: Moore has not dropped out of the race, but he has lost the fundraising support of the National Republican Senatorial Committee and the Republican National Committee. He is also down in the polls.
• Moore said: Moore has called the allegations “completely false” and threatened to sue media outlets reporting them.
• Work: White House reporter, The New York Times
• Accusations: Several women accused Thrush of sexually inappropriate behavior, reports Vox. The report's author, Laura McGann, claimed Thrush came on to her at a bar and she had to extricate herself from him. McGann said she believes he later disparaged her to their newsroom colleagues.
• Consequence: The New York Times said it will suspend Thrush while they investigate the allegations.
• Thrush said: "Over the past several years, I have responded to a succession of personal and health crises by drinking heavily," said Thrush in a statement to Vox. "During that period, I have done things that I am ashamed of, actions that have brought great hurt to my family and friends."
• Work: Founding partner of venture capital firm DFJ; Tesla and Space X board member
• Accusation: DFJ launched an investigation into Jurvetson based on "indirect and second-hand allegations," the firm said last month. The investigation, conducted by a law firm, began after USA TODAY and other news outlets began inquiring about rumors regarding Jurvetson's conduct with women. A female entrepreneur alleges that “predatory behavior is rampant” at DFJ. “Women approached by founding partners of Draper Fisher Jurvetson should be careful,” wrote Keri Kukral in a Facebook post.
• Consequences: Jurvetson left his post at DFJ on Nov. 13 and the company said his departure was by "mutual agreement." Jurvestson is also "on a leave of absence from the SpaceX and Tesla boards pending resolution of these allegations," SpaceX communications director John Taylor said in an emailed statement.
• Jurvetson said: "I am leaving DFJ to focus on personal matters, including taking legal action against those whose false statements have defamed me," Jurvetson tweeted on Nov. 13. The next day, he defended himself in a Facebook post: "It is excruciating to learn just how quickly, in one news cycle, people conclude that because I have left DFJ there must be some credence to vicious and wholly false allegations about sexual predation and workplace harassment. Let me be perfectly clear: no such allegations are true," he wrote. "I left DFJ because of interpersonal dynamics with my partners."
• Work: President and publisher of The New Republic magazine.
• Accusation: An investigation was launched into recent allegations by female employees at The New Republic of inappropriate conduct, according to The New York Times. Fish had a history of mistreating women, according to the Huffington Post.
• Consequences: Fish resigned as president and publisher on Nov. 3, days after he was asked to take a leave of absence pending an investigation.
• Fish said: In an email to New Republic owner Win McCormack, Fish wrote, “As I understand it, some employees, to my deep dismay, complained this week that my presence had led them to feel uncomfortable at The New Republic. Women have longstanding and profound concerns with respect to their treatment in the workplace. Many men have a lot to learn in this regard. I know I do, and I hope for and encourage that new direction.”
• Work: National Public Radio senior vice president for news; former D.C. bureau chief for The New York Times
• Accusation: Two women have accused Oreskes of abruptly kissing them on the lips and sticking his tongue in their mouths while discussing their job prospects, according to The Washington Post. The incidents took place while he was The New York Times’ Washington D.C. bureau chief in the 1990s. A third woman filed a complaint at NPR accusing him of harassment in October 2015.
• Consequences: Oreskes resigned from National Public Radio on Nov. 1, a day after he was placed on leave.
• Oreskes said in a statement: "I am deeply sorry to the people I hurt. My behavior was wrong and inexcusable, and I accept full responsibility."
• Work: NBC News, MSNBC political analyst; formerly with ABC News
• Accusation: Five women say he sexually harassed them, including forcibly kissing and grabbing the breasts of one woman
• Consequences: NBC News terminated its contract with Halperin, according to several reports. Halperin also lost a book deal and an HBO project based on it after the allegations.
• Halperin said in a statement to CNN: "I now understand from these accounts that my behavior was inappropriate and caused others pain. For that, I am deeply sorry and I apologize. Under the circumstances, I'm going to take a step back from my day-to-day work while I properly deal with this situation."
• Work: Celebrity chef; co-owner of Besh Restaurant Group, which includes New Orleans restaurants such as August, Domenica and Willa Jean.
• Accusation: 25 women have made allegations against Besh and other male co-workers that they were sexually harassed while working for the restaurant group, according to a report by The Times-Picayune and NOLA.com. The women described “a corporate culture where sexual harassment flourished” and where “male co-workers and bosses touched female employees without consent, made suggestive comments about their appearance and – in a few cases – tried to leverage positions of authority for sex,” the report said.
• Consequences: Besh stepped down from Besh Restaurant Group on Oct. 23.
• Besh said: "I have been seeking to rebuild my marriage and come to terms with my reckless actions," he wrote in a statement. "I also regret any harm this may have caused to my second family at the restaurant group, and sincerely apologize to anyone past and present who has worked for me who found my behavior as unacceptable as I do."
The sexual harassment dominoes continue to fall as more women go public with allegations of men exploiting positions of power. USA TODAY
• Work: Public speaker and blogger, technology consultant and expert in augmented and virtual reality
• Accusation: Two women have accused Scoble of sexual harassment and a third said he verbally harassed her. In an interview with USA TODAY earlier in October after the allegations came to light, Scoble apologized for his behavior: "I did some things that are really, really hurtful to the women and I feel ashamed by that," Scoble said. "I have taken many steps to try to get better.”
• Consequences: Resigned from his business consulting firm Transformation Group on Oct. 22. His former business partner said he would refrain from public speaking engagements through the end of the year.
• Scoble now denies sexual misconduct charges: In a blog post on Oct. 25, Scoble defended himself against the allegations and says he's not guilty of sexual harassment because he had no power to "make or break" the careers of women who made allegations against him. “Sexual Harassment requires that I have such power,” he wrote.
• Work: Amazon Studios programming chief
• Accusation: Isa Hackett, a producer of Amazon Studios' series The Man in the High Castle, accused Price of insistently and repeatedly propositioning her in 2015, including telling her that she would "love my d***, The Information reported. Hackett said she told Amazon about the issues at the time.
• Consequences: Price resigned on Oct. 17, five days after being placed on suspension over the allegations of sexual harassment. Two of Price’s lieutenants, Joe Lewis and Conrad Riggs, were also let go shortly after his departure.
• Price’s last Facebook post on Oct. 17 said: Left job at Amazon.com
Fashion photographer Terry Richardson has been banned from working with major magazines over sexual misconduct allegations dating back to 2010. USA TODAY
• Work: Fashion photographer known for his sexually explicit aesthetic
• Accusations: Multiple allegations have been made against Richardson since 2010 when some models began going public, describing episodes of graphic abuse, inappropriate touching and sexual harassment during photo shoots.
• Consequences: Condé Nast International discontinued working with Richardson Oct. 24 and banned him from future assignments.
• A representative for Richardson sent a statement to BuzzFeed News, saying: “He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually.
• Work: Former New Republic editor, senior fellow at The Brookings Institution
• Accusations: Former female employees at the New Republic began circulating stories about Wieseltier’s conduct after the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke, according to Politico, citing sources familiar with the private discussions. Wieseltier was also included on an anonymous list called ‘Sh**ty Media Men’ that detailed sexual misconduct.
• Consequences: Emerson Collective cut ties with Wieseltier and halted production of an upcoming literary journal he was set to oversee, according to Politico. The Brookings Institution suspended Wieseltier without pay, according to the Washington Post.
• Wieseltier said: “For my offenses against some of my colleagues in the past I offer a shaken apology and ask for their forgiveness,” Wieseltier said in a statement. “The women with whom I worked are smart and good people. I am ashamed to know that I made any of them feel demeaned and disrespected. I assure them that I will not waste this reckoning.”
• Work: Technology fund manager at Fidelity Investments
• Accusation: A female equity-research associate at Fidelity alleges she was sexually harassed by Baker and filed a complaint, according to an attorney for the woman and other people familiar with the matter as reported by The Wall Street Journal. Other employees complained to management about harassment by Baker, the report said.
• Consequences: Baker left Fidelity Investments in September. The attorney for the woman said Baker was fired by the firm, the Journal reports. Baker denies wrongdoing and says he left Fidelity “amicably.” Fidelity declined to comment on specific employees, but said in a statement that its policies “prohibit harassment in any form.
• Baker said: A spokesman for Mr. Baker says he “strenuously” denies any “supposed” allegations of sexual harassment, according to the Journal. “Gavin left Fidelity amicably a few weeks before planning to become engaged to his longtime girlfriend who is an analyst and fund manager there, as he believes his new fiancée and he should not work at the same firm. After a great 18 years at Fidelity that he’s very grateful to have experienced he’s excited to begin a new job later this month,” the spokesman said.
• The Journal also reported that C. Robert Chow, who worked most recently in an advisory unit at Fidelity, was forced to resign in October after he made inappropriate sexual comments to colleagues, according to people familiar with the matter.