NBC News and MSNBC senior political analyst Mark Halperin has issued an apology to five women after being accused of sexual harassment during his time at ABC news. Buzz60
Political analyst Mark Halperin has lost a book deal and an HBO project based on it in the wake of sexual-harassment allegations by at least five women.
Late Thursday, Penguin Press announced it would cancel a book by Halperin and longtime collaborator John Heilemann about the 2016 presidential election.
"In light of the recent news regarding Mark Halperin, the Penguin Press has decided to cancel our plans to publish a book he was co-authoring on the 2016 election," the publisher said in a statement.
Earlier. HBO said it was "“no longer proceeding with the project tied to the untitled book. HBO has no tolerance for sexual harassment within the company or its productions.”
Halperin, who often appears on MSNBC and NBC News, is leaving his contributor post after the women said he sexually harassed them while he had a powerful position at ABC News more than a decade ago.
The women revealed the allegations to CNN under anonymity. They described instances in which Halperin, 52, propositioned an ABC employee for sex, and forcibly kissed and grabbed the breasts of another, among other allegations.
Halperin issued a statement to CNN, which broke the story Wednesday, admitting he did "pursue relationships with women that I worked with, including some junior to me."
"I now understand from these accounts that my behavior was inappropriate and caused others pain. For that, I am deeply sorry and I apologize. Under the circumstances, I'm going to take a step back from my day-to-day work while I properly deal with this situation."
MSNBC called the allegations "very troubling" and announced Halperin would leave his role as a contributor "until the questions around his past conduct are fully understood."
The women told CNN they never reported Halperin to ABC management, fearing retribution. His power in politics and media, CNN reported, is why they chose to remain anonymous.
The allegations stem from Halperin's long career at ABC, where he was named political director in 1997, CNN reported. Four of the women were ABC employees at the time of the incidents.
One woman, according to the CNN article, described how she went to Halperin's office, where he then "forcibly kissed" her, pressed his body against her and touched her breasts. While on the campaign trail, a junior employee said Halperin invited her to his hotel room. Another said he propositioned her outside a women's restroom.
Halperin told CNN he never grabbed the woman's breast and did not "press his genitals against the three women," the story said. The women told CNN he never offered "anything in exchange for sex" or threatened retaliation.
ABC issued a statement to CNN after the article published saying, "Mark left ABC News over a decade ago, and no complaints were filed during his tenure."
MSNBC's Morning Joe, where Halperin is a frequent guest, briefly addressed the CNN story on Thursday morning. Co-host Mika Brzezinski read part of Halperin's statement and said the show would be following the story. Halperin was suspended by MSNBC in 2011 after calling former president Obama "a d---" on Morning Joe, Politico reported.
After leaving ABC, NBC said Halperin also held positions at Time magazine and Bloomberg Politics. Halperin has teamed up with John Heilemann to write the book Game Change about the 2008 election.
The allegations come as more and more women speak up about sexual harassment of powerful men. Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein was booted from his own company after the New York Times exposed decades of indiscretions. Last year, Fox News CEO Roger Ailes resigned after former Fox & Friends host Gretchen Carlson sued him over sexual harassment. Fox talk show host Bill O'Reilly was fired in April following a sexual harassment investigation.
Contributing: Gary Levin, Jocelyn McClurg
Follow Sean Rossman on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeanRossman@SeanRossman
Texas Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold won't seek re-election next year, adding his name to the list of lawmakers leaving Congress amid sexual harassment allegations. (Dec. 14) AP
Tavis Smiley shot back on Facebook, voying to fight back, after PBS fired him amid allegations of sexual misconduct. (Dec. 14) AP
Kentucky State Representative Dan Johnson was found with a single gunshot wound to the head days after he was accused of molesting a teenage member his congregation. His suicide note included cryptic references to 9/11 and PTSD. USA TODAY
ABC pulled The Great American Baking Show amid harassment claims against one of the show’s judges Time
In the wake of many sexual harassment claims, is 2017 the year we retire ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’? USA TODAY
Three women have accused hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons of rape. USA TODAY
After comparing former President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle to monkeys in 2016, the same Kentucky lawmaker is now being accused of sexual assault. Buzz60
Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk was among three NFL Network analysts suspended. USA TODAY Sports
Matt Damon says sexual harassment of any kind needs to be eradicated, but also claims "we've got to figure out our appetite for retribution." (Dec. 12) AP
Mario Batali is stepping back from his restaurant empire and was dropped as a host of ABC's 'The Chew' amid multiple accusations of sexual misconduct. Time
Judge Alex Kozinski of Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is facing allegations of sexual misconduct by six clerks or more staffers. For more on the story here is Zachary Devita. Buzz60
Woody Allen’s daughter Dylan Farrow is asking why her father has been spared in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the subsequent #MeToo movement. Time
Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks announced Thursday night he will resign from Congress at the end of January after the House Ethics Committee said it would open an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment. Time
The Committee on House Administration convened Thursday aimed to overhaul the 1995 Congressional Accountability Act. (Dec. 7) AP
Speaking at The Hollywood Reporter's Women in Entertainment breakfast, Jennifer Lawrence and Angelia Jolie tackled big issues, including Hollywood harassment and the plight of women worldwide. (Dec. 7) AP
Audio tapes of Corey Feldman’s 1993 interview with the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office have been located. Wochit-All
Male model Jason Boyce is accusing Photographer Bruce Weber of sexual harassment. USA TODAY
The top editor for the 'National Enquirer,' 'Us Weekly' and other major gossip publications is being accused of openly describing his sexual partners in the newsroom, forcing women to watch or listen to pornography and more. AP
Plagued by sexual misconduct allegations, longtime Rep. John Conyers announces his retirement and endorses his son to replace him in Congress. (Dec. 5) AP
John Hockenberry has been accused of sexual harassment by women while hosting the show 'The Takeaway' back in 2014. USA TODAY
According to Blake Farenthold's former spokesman, the GOP Texas representative used taxpayer dollars to help settle a sexual harassment suit. USA TODAY
Mary J. Blige, Betty Who and Kelly Clarkson reflect on sexual assault allegations in the music industry as artists are honored at the Billboard Women in Music event in Los Angeles. (Dec. 1) AP
Top House Democrat Nancy Pelosi says Michigan Rep. John Conyers, facing sexual misconduct allegations, should resign from Congress. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan echoed that call. (Nov. 30) AP
Legendary Actress Bette Midler told Barbara Walters that TV personality Geraldo Rivera groped her in the 1970s. Buzz60
Reaction to the firing of Matt Lauer on the street at the 'Today' show. USA TODAY
Garrison Keillor, the former host of 'A Prairie Home Companion,' says he’s been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of improper behavior. Time
According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Flash and Supergirl have cut all ties with Andrew Kreisberg following sexual-harassment claims from multiple women involving the showrunner. USA TODAY
Andy Rubin left Google in 2014 and founded Essential in 2015 to create smartphones to rival Google's Pixel and Apple's iPhone. Wochit-All
Thousands of women are identifying themselves as victims of sexual harassment or assault following a call to action propelled by Alyssa Milano in the wake of Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein's downfall over of allegations of sexual misconduct. (Oct. 17) AP
NBC's 'Today' announced the sudden termination of anchor Matt Lauer amid an allegation of inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace. USA TODAY
Over 140 women have accused Larry Nassar of sexual abuse. USA TODAY Sports
Disney executive on leave over improper contact with staff Video provided by AFP Newslook
The longest-serving current House member, Democratic Representative John Conyers of Michigan is the latest of powerful men in politics, the media and entertainment to be accused of sexual misconduct. Buzz60
Longtime journalist Charlie Rose joins the growing list of high-profile men accused of sexual harassment or assault. USA TODAY
Sexual harassment of any kind can leave invisible scars. Time
Senator Al Franken has been accused of unwanted groping and kissing by model and sportscaster Leeann Tweeden. She says Franken kissed her against her will. USA TODAY
Ed Westick has been accused by a third woman, Rachel Eck, of sexual assault. USA TODAY
A bipartisan group of Senators and Congressional members introduce the 'METOO Congress Act' aimed at reforming how Congress handles sexual harassment. (Nov. 15) AP
He made the announcement the same day new allegations of harassment came to light in Congress. Video provided by Newsy Newslook
The female cast of One Tree Hill and the show's crew to wrote a letter accusing Mark Schwahn of sexual harassment. USA TODAY
Stories of sexual harassment and gender hostility are coming to light at a hearing on preventing sexual harassment on Capitol Hill. GOP congresswoman, Barbara Comstock, says she was told that a member of Congress exposed himself to a staffer. (Nov. 14) AP
Actor Tom Sizemore is accused of touching an 11-year-old girl’s genitals, while filming a movie in 2003. Buzz60
An Alabama woman, Beverly Young Nelson, is now the fifth woman to accuse Roy Moore of sexual assault. She says he groped her 40 years ago when she was 16 years old and told her, "no one will believe you, you're only a child." USA TODAY
Another woman accuses former President George H.W. Bush of groping her when she was just 16 years old. Josh King has the story (@abridgetoland). Buzz60
People are posting photos of their 14-year-old selves with the hashtags #NoMoore, #NeverMoore and #MeAt14 in response to "The Washington Post" article that reported Roy Moore had a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl. USA TODAY
Multiple people accused producer Andrew Kreisberg of creating an inappropriate and "toxic" work environment. Video provided by Newsy Newslook
Survivors of sexual assault and harassment are expected to attend a #MeToo Survivors march on Sunday afternoon in Los Angeles.
Actor Anthony Edwards has revealed that he is a survivor of sexual assault. Edwards claims Gary Goddard, a well-known theatrical director, producer, and theme park designer, sexually abused him when Edwards was a young teenager. USA TODAY
A third woman has accused actor Jeremy Piven of sexual misconduct. USA TODAY
While promoting his upcoming film 'I Love You, Daddy,' star, writer, and director Louis C.K. was asked about the allegations of sexual misconduct that have followed him for years. USA TODAY
In a tweet, Portia de Rossi recounted her audition for a film Steven Seagal also had a part in. The actress says Seagal told her “how important it was to have chemistry off-screen,” and unzipped his pants. USA TODAY
Several GOP lawmakers say if the sexual misconduct accusations against the Alabama senate hopeful reported in 'The Washington Post' are true, Roy Moore must drop out of the race. USA TODAY
Former Boston news anchor Heather Unruh accused Kevin Spacey of sexually assaulting her son at a Nantucket, Mass., bar in 2016. Her "star-struck" son was 18 years old at the time. USA TODAY
Kevin Spacey was accused by more than a dozen men who say he sexually harassed and attempted to rape them decades ago. USA TODAY
The New Hampshire attorney general’s office said on Tuesday that three Dartmouth College psychology professors are under criminal investigation over accusations of sexual misconduct. USA TODAY
Kevin Spacey has been accused of making sexual advances on actor Anthony Rapp when he was a teenage boy in 1986. (Oct. 30) AP
Almost half of America’s working women say they have been harassed at their jobs, a new poll has found Time
Many of Hollywood's most powerful men are struggling with how to address the sexual harassment and assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein and others in the industry. Here's why. USA TODAY
NBC News and MSNBC senior political analyst Mark Halperin has issued an apology to five women after being accused of sexual harassment during his time at ABC news. Buzz60
The sexual harassment dominoes continue to fall as more women go public with allegations of men exploiting positions of power. USA TODAY
Change continues to occur for Amazon Studios. USA TODAY
Actress Heather Lind says former President George H.W. Bush touched her "from behind from his wheelchair" at an event four years ago. USA TODAY
Fashion photographer Terry Richardson has been banned from working with major magazines over sexual misconduct allegations dating back to 2010. USA TODAY
The New York attorney general's office subpoenaed documents from The Weinstein Co. relating to sexual harassment and discrimination. Video provided by Newsy Newslook
Bill O’Reilly is mad at a lot of people, including God. Nathan Rousseau Smith (@FantasticMrNate) reports. Buzz60
Add another name to the list of powerful men being accused of sexual harassment in Hollywood. Reported by the Los Angeles Times, Oscar-nominated writer and film director, James Toback has been accused of sexual harassment by more than 30 women. USA TODAY
Scotland Yard is investigating after a model came forward, accusing David Blaine of rape. Natasha Prince alleges the magician assaulted her in London in 2004. Veuer's Sam Berman has more. Buzz60
Olympic gold medalist McKayla Maroney released a statement on Twitter claiming that was sexually abused by former USA Gymnastics team physician Larry Nassar. USA TODAY Sports
Years before Jennifer Lawrence became an A-list celebrity for her role in 'Hunger Games,' she was told horrible things by filmmakers. The Oscar winner shared her story at the 'Elle' Women in Hollywood event. USA TODAY
On screen she fought bad guys from a galaxy far, far away, but during her time on Earth, Carrie Fisher fought bad guys a lot closer to home Time
Five-star basketball recruit Emmitt Williams has been charged with felony sexual battery and false imprisonment, according to the Orange County jail records. Time_Sports
- Farenthold: 'I am profoundly sorry'
- Tavis Smiley, suspended, but vows to fight back
- Dan Johnson commits suicide after sex assault accusation
- ABC pulls 'Great American Baking Show' amid harassment claims
- Is 2017 the year we retire ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’
- Russell Simmons accused of rape by three more women
- Lawmaker who compared Obamas to monkeys accused of sexual assault
- NFL Network suspends three over sexual harassment allegations
- Damon considers the public's 'appetite for retribution'
- Mario Batali accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women
- Powerful appeals court judge accused of sexual misconduct
- Dylan Farrow: Why has Woody Allen been spared from allegations
- Republican Rep. Trent Franks will resign after alleged misconduct
- House looks to redraw harassment rules
- Lawrence: 'Let's all be silence breakers'
- Corey Feldman’s 1993 report of sexual assault found
- Photographer Bruce Weber accused of sexually harassing male model
- 'National Enquirer' editor accused of misconduct
- Amid misconduct claims, Conyers to retire
- John Hockenberry responds to sexual harassment claims
- Blake Farenthold used taxpayer money for sexual harassment settlement
- Blige 'really proud' of women speaking out over sexual assault
- Pelosi, Ryan: Rep. Conyers should resign
- Bette Midler: 'Geraldo Rivera groped me'
- Reaction on the streets of N.Y. to Matt Lauer firing
- Garrison Keillor fired over alleged improper behavior
- Andrew Kreisberg fired due to sexual harassment allegations
- Andy Rubin taking leave from Essential
- #MeToo: Women elevate Weinstein conversation
- Matt Lauer fired from 'Today'
- Ex-USA Gymnastics doctor pleads guilty to sexual assault charges
- Disney executive on leave over improper contact with staff
- Representative Conyers settled complaint over sexual misconduct
- Charlie Rose accused of groping, walking around naked
- Any type of sexual harassment can cause psychological harm
- Al Franken accused of kissing, groping
- 'Gossip Girl' star Ed Westwick accused by third woman of sexual assault
- Bipartisan sexual harassment bill introduced
- Paul Ryan wants mandated sexual harassment training for House members
- Mark Schwahn accused of sexual harassment by 'One Tree Hill' Cast
- More Cap. Hill Sexual Harassment Cases Revealed
- Report: Tom Sizemore accused of touching an 11-year-old actress
- New Roy Moore accuser says he groped her when she was 16
- George H.W. Bush accused of groping woman when she was 16
- #NoMoore: Why people are posting photos of themselves at 14
- How allegations against a CW producer point to another Hollywood issue
- Thousands to march in #MeToo rally
- Former 'ER' actor reveals he was sexually assaulted
- Third woman accuses Jeremy Piven of sexual misconduct
- Five women accuse Louis C.K. of inappropriate behavior
- Portia de Rossi: Steven Seagal unzipped pants at audition
- GOP reacts to Roy Moore sexual misconduct accusations
- Former TV anchor says Kevin Spacey groped her son
- Deeper look into Kevin Spacey sexual misconduct claims
- Dartmouth professors investigated for alleged sexual misconduct
- Kevin Spacey responds to harrassment allegations
- Nearly half of the women in America have been harassed on the job
- Why many Hollywood men are silent about sexual harassment
- NBC's Mark Halperin apologizes after sexual harassment accusations
- Robert Scoble resigns following sexual assault complaints
- More shakeup at Amazon Studios
- George H.W. Bush apologizes after accusation of improper touching
- Terry Richardson no longer welcomed at 'Vogue'
- The Weinstein Co. under investigation as it continues to struggle
- Bill O'Reilly is 'mad at God' over allegations of sexual harassment
- Dozens of women accuse director James Toback of harassment
- Reports: Model accuses David Blaine of rape
- McKayla Maroney says she was sexually abused by ex-Team USA physician
- Jennifer Lawrence tells horrifying harassment story
- Carrie Fisher sent cow tongue to producer after sexual assault claim
- Five-Star Recruit Emmitt Williams Charged With Sexual Battery, False Imprisonment