1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

There is still no word yet on when the Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa will re-open following an electrical fire last week and flooding earlier this week.

The fire started in an electrical room on the ninth floor of the building and was reported around 12:30 p.m. Friday, according to the Marco Island Fire-Rescue Department.

Hotel staff shut down the power to the building, according to Marco Island Fire Chief Mike Murphy.

When fire crews got to the electrical room, the fire was still burning, even though the sprinklers in the room had gone off.

"It was in an electrical box that contained magnesium," Murphy said.

The hotel was evacuated, and no one was hurt, according to previous reporting. Hotel guests were relocated to other hotels in Naples and Marco Island, according to a statement from Vincent Bucci, the hotel's managing director.

Murphy said hotel staff indicated about 200 rooms were occupied when the fire started.

"We were extremely fortunate, and so were the guests, that the fire was quickly contained to the room of origin," Murphy said. "It could’ve been a disaster."

Once the fire was extinguished, hotel staff came up with a plan to assess damage, according to Murphy.

"Their concern was water damage that could have gone down multiple floors," Murphy said. "They brought in their own investigators to look into what the cause may have been."

While the fire investigation was underway, the Hilton suffered another major incident; according to a tweet from the Marco Island Police Department (MIPD), officers were patrolling the beach shortly after midnight on Tuesday when they noticed water flowing from the Hilton, and called in the Marco Island Fire-Rescue Department to investigate.

“Upon arrival, (Fire Department) units found water on multiple floors of the Hilton,” the tweet read. “(They) discovered water flowing in electrical rooms and main hallways. Because of the risk of fire, Lee County Electric Cooperative was called and the power to the entire building was shut down. The Hilton remains closed and the cause is under investigation.”

A Hilton employee posted on the hotel's Facebook page that last week's fire and this week's flooding were unrelated; hotel management later confirmed that information.

"We do not believe the two incidents are related, but we are actively investigating," Bucci said. "Most importantly, we are working diligently to get the property back up and running."

For additional information or assistance regarding an upcoming reservation, call (239) 394-5000 or email Andrew.Neubauer@hilton.com.

1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.marconews.com/story/news/local/2017/06/15/hilton-remains-closed-indefinitely-after-fire-flooding/397686001/