Question: Jeff, will soon be opening my own business. And will obviously have lots on my plate. But what are the “big” things I need to be thinking about for short and long-term success?
Answer: Congrats! Whether you’re a new entrepreneur, a seasoned vet, or a corporate chieftain, thankfully, there are “basics” that’ll help drive your results.
One of my clients is Vistage, the world’s leading CEO membership organization. Every month, I’m in various cities in North America, helping their CEOs and C-level decision-makers or members grow their businesses.
While conducting a results-session in Washington, D.C., I noticed a Vistage poster that answers your question. It succinctly reinforces and identifies, what I’ve been telling clients for years, “For success, you need to think about people, money and stuff!”
The poster is titled, “Top CEO concerns.” Yet, it’s really applicable to any leader, of any size or type of business.
As an added bonus, at the end of this column, I'll give you some powerful quotes, that'll reinforce each of the crucial “concerns.”
Vistage suggests, you need to be thinking about …
- Cash flow, capital and equity.
- Managing top line for maximum results.
- Developing the right business plan and strategy.
- Managing expenses and the bottom line.
- Getting the right people “on the bus.”
- Communicating with; your people, your customers, etc.
- Delegation of team development.
- Leading the team toward your vision.
- Implementing the right strategy.
- Holding your team accountable.
- Knowing who to trust.
- Knowing when to take risks.
- Getting fresh ideas.
For more great ideas or to see if a Vistage group is meeting near you, take a peek at vistage.com.
And now, some keeper-quotes about finance, personnel and intangibles.
- “A light purse is a heavy curse.” -- Benjamin Franklin
- “Ideas are the beginning points of all fortunes. Think and grow rich.” -- Napoleon Hill
- “Money is one of life’s valuable tools. Especially, when you desire freedom, flexibility and independence.” -- Jeff Blackman
- “I make progress by having people around who are smarter than I am, and listening to them.” -- Henry J. Kaiser
- “Trust people, and they will be true to you. Treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” -- Margaret Mead
- “A jug fills drop by drop.” -- Gautama Buddha
- “Businesses are successful because someone makes the sacrifices others are unwilling to.” -- Ki-Jung Kim
- “When all is said and done, more should not be said than done.” -- Jeff Blackman
Jeff Blackman is a Hall of Fame speaker, author, success coach, broadcaster and lawyer. His clients call him a “business-growth specialist.” If you hire speakers, contact Jeff at 847-998-0688 or email@example.com. And visit jeffblackman.com to learn more about his other business-growth tools and to subscribe to Jeff’s free e-letter, The Results Report. Jeff’s books include “Stop Whining! Start Selling!” (an Amazon Bestseller) and the revised 4th edition of the best-selling “Peak Your Profits.” You can also stay connected with Jeff via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter: @BlackmanResults.