Steve Hilfiker, CEO of Environmental Risk Management, gives a statement about work he was asked to do for the City of Fort Myers at the Home-a-rama site back in 2002.
Bradshaw shepherded FGCU through a fast-paced growth period when he was named FGCU's president nearly 10 years ago. He is retiring and is going to join his wife, Jo Anna, in St. Augustine, the north Florida city they will call home.
A Florida officer had a very unusual visitor approach his patrol car.
Law students from University of Miami’s Environmental Justice Clinic hit the Dunbar streets to gather resident histories around the toxic dump site known by the city as Home-a-rama.
Families of murder victims share their grief in a healing circle recently in Fort Myers, Florida. The restorative healing effort was presented by the Fort Myers-Lee County Chapter of Parents of Murdered Children, Inc,.
Curtis Sheard Dunbar resident, talks about growing up and playing in the area known as Home-a-rama. He wants it to get better, he wants it to get cleaned up, he wants it to be a real park for his community.
Downtown Social House opens in the former Bacchus space in downtown Fort Myers. Co-owner Nils Richter and Chef Jamie DeRosa (also of the new Izzy's) are giving us a first look at the space, and some of the dishes that will be featured.
The city bought the land in 1962 for 'municipal purposes' a place to dump the sludge from its water treatment While people were building homes in the neighborhood, it was dumping waste. For more than 40 years, no one knew the waste contained arsenic.
Michael Martin, the new president at Florida Gulf Coast University talks about school, proposing to his wife, and the joy of adopting his kids.
Kids attending the 2016 Fairport parade explain what Memorial Day means to them. Video by Max Schulte
Decades after the Nazis robbed her of the privilege, Esther Begam walked into an auditorium to receive her high school diploma.
Florida legislators talk about opioid epidemic during a sit down with the News-Press editorial board. Rep. Ray Rodrigues, Rep. Dane Eagle, Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen, Sen. Kathleen Passidomo and Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto weighed in on the subject.
Southwest Florida Sports Awards powered by The News-Press and Naples Daily News. At the end of the night a few special awards were handed out to coaches and athletes.
Winners for The News-Press and Naples Daily News Fall sports were named at the Southwest Florida Sports Awards held at the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall.
As the athletes and their families arrived for the Southwest Florida Sports Awards at the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall, they took photos, walked a red carpet, and mingled among mascots.
Naples Beach Brewing in the industrial park of Naples offers up to 27 beers in its tap room.
With diplomas in hand, South Fort Myers High School graduates say goodbye to their alma mater and hello to their futures on Sunday at Alico Arena in Fort Myers.
With diplomas in hand, Cape Coral High School graduates say goodbye to their alma mater and hello to their futures on Sunday at Alico Arena in Fort Myers.
Island Coast High School students celebrate graduating on Saturday at the Lee County Civic Center in North Fort Myers.
Fort Myers High School students celebrate graduating on Saturday at the Lee County Civic Center in North Fort Myers.
Get a few highlights from the spirited afternoon as East Lee County seniors crossed the stage and graduated.
Restoring honor to a cemetery of forgotten veterans has begun. Local veterans raised two American flags Saturday in the Woodlawn and Oakridge sections of the Fort Myers Cemetery.
The class of 2017 at Estero High School walked the stage to receive their diplomas at Alico Arena.
Because of bad drainage and the Hanson Street connection being built through the middle of Eastwood Golf Course. The course will have a new look in the coming years.
It has been more than a year since an American flag has flown over veterans' graves in the Oakridge section of the Fort Myers Cemetery in Florida. More than 30 veterans are buried there. The cemetery is often littered with trash and needs repairs.
The Farmers Market family celebrates JoAnn Mow's retirement at the restaurant in Fort Myers recently. Mow began working at Farmers in 1967. “All the customers are my favorite. It’s like children, you can’t pick just one,” says Mow.
Police spokesman Sam Clemens says five people were arrested overnight after drugs and a stolen gun were found in a vehicle.
Fort Myers High School softball players celebrate beating Braden River on Friday at Fort Myers. Fort Myers beat Braden 3-1 to advance to the Class 7A final four. It is the first ever appearance in the state final four for Fort Myers.
Over the years, much has changed in Vineland. When we look back at The Daily Journal's photo archive and visit the same locations today, we find some things remain.
Surveillance footage of a woman being detained under the Baker Act in January at the David Lawrence Center in Naples. The center is Collier County's primary mental health provider. The footage was provided by the woman's attorney.
- Home-A-Rama: Steve Hilfiker
- After 10 years FGCU's presidents Wilson Bradshaw steps away
- Curious bear ambles to cop car
- Home-A-Rama: Law Students from U of M hit Dunbar streets
- 'I wore their blood.' Grief haunts mothers of murdered children
- Home-A-Rama: Curtis Sheard grew up playing on the land
- A La Carte: Downtown Social House
- Home-A-Rama now contaminated land?
- Get to know the new FGCU President, Michael Martin
- Memorial Day as explained by children
- Holocaust-surviving grandma finally gets to graduate
- Florida legislators talk about opioid epidemic
- Southwest Florida Sports Awards: Special Award Winners
- Southwest Florida Sports Awards: Fall Sports Winners
- Southwest Florida Sports Awards: Red Carpet Fun
- Naples Beach Brewing is all about drinkability
- Final wave goodbye from South Fort Myers High School graduates
- A final fun walk for Cape Coral High School graduates
- 'I present to you': Island Coast High School graduation
- The 'moment' they worked for: Fort Myers High School graduation
- Graduation 2017: East Lee County Graduation
- Flag raised. More work to do at cemetery of forgotten veterans
- Graduation 2017: Estero Seniors Graduate
- Eastwood Golf Course gets a new look
- American flag doesn't fly over cemetery of forgotten veterans.
- Cashier retires after 50 years of treating customers like 'family.'
- Five arrested after drugs found in vehicle
- 'We did it!' Fort Myers High makes history in advancing to softball final four
- Part Five: Moving History - Then and Now
- Surveillance footage of woman being detained under the Baker Act in Naples