Festive season kicks off
- An estimated 3,500 people turned out for the treelighting party, which featured dance and song
Thoughts of Thanksgiving quickly morphed into festive season thoughts with two Christmas Island Style celebrations marking the weekend.
Friday, Santa dropped in at the Shops of Marco for his traditional first appearance on the island, posing for pictures with eager children as usual at Salon & Spa Botanica. A queue of patient parents lined up halfway around the perimiter of the Shops of Marco for the opportunity.
Saturday saw tailgate prepping long before the evening’s festivities, and as the sun dropped there were an estimated 3,500 people congregated at Veterans’ Community Park.
They enjoyed an evening of song and dance up on stage, with the actual treelighting bringing a whooping climax to the proceedings.
Now through Mid-December, there’s plenty more to enjoy (see below).
More information can be found at christmasislandstyle.com or call Steve Stefanides at 250-8348.
Christmas Island Style events
• Tuesday Dec. 1, 5:30 p.m Holiday Pets on Parade at The Esplanade;
• Saturday, Dec. 5, 6 p.m Christmas boat parade;
• Sunday, Dec. 6, 6 p.m Chamber Christmas gala at Bistro Solei;
• Saturday, Dec. 12, 10 a.m. Santa arrives at Mackle Park for cookies and milk with the kids;
• Saturday, Dec. 12, 6:30 p.m Annual Christmas street parade on San Marco Road;
• Sunday, Dec. 13, noon-6 p.m Christmas ice skating at Veterans’ Community Park;
• Wednesday, Dec. 16, 5:30 p.m Holiday After 5 at the Hilton Hotel to benefit Christmas Island Style;
• Friday, Dec. 18, 5:30 p.m Christmas movie at Veterans’ Community Park at the Christmas Tree;
• Friday, Dec. 18, 5:30 p.m Christmas caroling cruise on the Princess;
• Sunday, Dec. 20, 6 p.m Santa’s calling / YMCA.
• Monday Jan. 11, 6 p.m Christmas Island Style awards / Rose History Auditorium.