Marco in Bloom nominations deadline April 19
Marco in Bloom is a city-wide recognition/award with emphasis on Florida Friendly plants, water conservation, use of color, contrast and creativity.
The Marco Island beautification advisory committee wanted to recognize people in the community for creating a more beautiful landscape to look at while keeping its tropical character and natural beauty.
Thus five years ago, a committee-sponsored contest was created to do just that -- Marco in Bloom.
1.Residential: Single-family homes personally landscaped;
2.Residential: Single-family homes professionally landscaped;
3.Cul-de-sacs: Adopted and maintained by residents;
4.Commercial property: Non-Residential (Zoned C1-C5);
5.Condominiums: Multi-family dwelling unit, condo complex grounds;
6.Institutions: Government properties, schools and houses of worship.
Criteria for eligibility include:
1. Use of native or waterwise plant material (because water is a precious and diminishing commodity in Southwest Florida) minimizing grass is emphasized;
2. Use of color and contrast;
3. Visibility from public streets;
What do you do to enter this recognition contest? Simple, real simple.
Take a few pictures of the landscape from the front of your house, condo or building.
Write a few sentences as to why the nominee deserves to be recognized.
Call the parks and recreation department at 389-5035 and nominate your own yard, a neighbor’s yard, a condo or a city establishment. Applications are available at Mackle Park or online at cityofmarcoisland.com.
1. If applying on-line, please print out the MiB application and complete. You can scan and email application with 3 or 4 photos of your front landscaping only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. If you hand deliver, please bring to Mackle Park, 1361 Andalusia Terrace, Marco Island.
3. If mailing, please send to Mackle Park, 50 Bald Eagle Drive, Marco Island, FL. 34145 to reach the park by the deadline.
The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, April 19. As one drives around Marco, there are many landscapes big and small that help make Marco come alive with beauty. So take a look around and nominate them. There will be a winner and a runner-up for each category.
Properties will be judged by the beautification committee.
The winners will be presented with a sign, at the May 2 Marco Island City Council meeting.
A sign will be placed in the front of the winning property.