Marco public works director accepts blame for not notifying public of roadwork
Marco Island Public Works Director Tim Pinter has issued a mea culpa for not notifying the public sooner of last week's roadwork on N. Collier Boulevard.
During Monday's City Council meeting, Vice-Chair Charlette Roman asked for an explanation after a large throng of residents made their displeasure known last week when their commute times were multiplied by unforeseen challenges commuting on and off the island.
"About a week ago, all of a sudden roadwork started on a Monday morning and there were several hundred citizens caught in traffic and some of the workers that come here to serve our citizens," Vice-Chair Charlette Roman said.
The answer was straightforward.
"I messed up, very, very simple," Pinter said.
Milling on all four lanes of N. Collier Boulevard was scheduled from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday last week as part of the last phases of asphalt work being done in the city.
During a previous Council meeting, Pinter came before the Council because there were leftover funds from the $2.1 million allocated this year that the city could use for this project.
After meeting with the contractor a week prior, Pinter said that he was out of the office for two days on medical leave, which led to the mishap.
"When I came back, it was basically on my desk, buried," Pinter said. "I did not get anything to (Capt.) Dave Baer to put out that Wednesday before so that Monday morning we were caught short."
Pinter said the city made amends for the error the next day by changing the working hours and the direction of work.
Hours of work on the southbound lanes were reduced from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and on the northbound lanes from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
"I don't think we've had significant problems since then," Pinter said. "That Monday morning was definitely my fault."