LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A Collier County Public School student who wrote a hit list, a school shooting plan and a suicide note was held at the David Lawrence Center for at least four days in early February, according to Collier County Sheriff’s Office reports.

School officials declined to answer questions about any disciplinary action taken against the student, citing privacy laws.

Sheriff's Office documents state the male student was attending Barron Collier High School.

Investigators determined the hit list and shooting plan were not credible threats.

More: Student accused of creating hit list, threatening to bring gun to Collier school

CLOSE

President Donald Trump says Wednesday's mass shooting turned a Florida school into a "scene of terrible violence, hatred and evil." (Feb. 15) AP

But those details have taken on new significance after the fatal shootings of 17 people Wednesday at a Broward County high school. The suspect, a 19-year-old former student at the school in Parkland, has confessed to the killings, authorities said.

According to the Collier Sheriff’s Office, doctors at the David Lawrence Center cited concerns about the Barron Collier student's mental health.

He had no prior disciplinary record, and no weapons were found in his room. His father told deputies there were no weapons in their home. The student claimed he wrote the list, shooting plan and suicide note as a joke.

The hit list was brought to the attention of deputies by two Barron Collier students Feb. 1, reports state.

A subsequent Sheriff's Office and school district investigation found that the list and two other documents were composed during class Nov. 9 on another student's laptop and uploaded to the school’s shared drive from the same laptop.

The hit list contained the names of 25 students and two teachers. Included on the list was the following description in place of a name: “Anyone who looks at me funny, and just a reminder, bring bullets next time.” The list was posted to the school’s shared drive and to Snapchat.

More: Florida school shooting: What we know about Nikolas Cruz, attack at Parkland high school

More: Talking to kids about Florida school shooting is uncomfortable, but necessary

All the files were deleted but were recovered later by the school district, reports state.

The student whose laptop was used told deputies he saw the author uploading the documents and said the other student had been “messing around” during free time and uploaded the documents as a joke,  Sheriff's Office documents state. The witness said other students in the class had given the author names to add to the list as a joke.

After deputies first questioned the author about the hit list Feb. 1, the student was taken home to his father and “made aware of the seriousness of his actions,” reports state.

The next morning, the student and his parents met with Barron Collier’s principal, assistant principal and a deputy, documents state. In the meeting the student revealed he also had posted a detailed plan of the school shooting as well as a suicide letter. The student was detained by deputies for a mental health evaluation and taken to the David Lawrence Center.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

Deputies involved in the case agreed it appeared the documents were “generated as a joke with no intent to commit the acts depicted,” records state.

The Sheriff's Office decided not to arrest the student but issued the author a civil citation alleging disruption of a school function for 50 hours. They determined a criminal investigation would not be necessary and that it would be up to the school whether to take disciplinary action.

Parents of the students on the list were notified of the incident immediately, said school district spokeswoman Jennifer Kupiec.

More: Here are the lawmakers calling for gun control in the wake of Florida shooting

More: Florida high school football coach 'died a hero' while shielding students

Barron Collier Principal Jose Hernandez alerted other parents in an email sent Feb. 8:

“Staff and student safety is always a top priority which is why we want to make you aware of a threat made against some students and staff late last week,” he wrote. “The Collier County Sheriff’s Office was involved from the very beginning. While we quickly determined that the threat was not a credible one, we followed the appropriate investigative protocols.”

Support our journalism

We're offering a great deal on subscriptions right now. Get a 1-year digital subscription for $9.99 and you'll get access to the latest local news that includes:

▣ Award-winning journalism at your fingertips
▣ In-depth and timely coverage spanning from Fort Myers to Cape Coral
▣ Easy access to vote for the high school athlete of the week
▣ The latest on restaurant openings and closings, plus expert recommendations on where to eat
▣ Photos and video from popular events

Click here to learn more about the 1-year digital subscription for $9.99!

 

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/education/2018/02/15/collier-student-composed-hit-list-shooting-plan-and-suicide-note/342364002/