Roger Stone, Alex Jones: The Jan. 6 committee releases next batch of subpoenas
WASHINGTON – The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by a mob of supporters of former President Donald Trump announced on Monday five new targets for subpoenas.
The new batch focused on organizers, and the funding, of the "Stop the Steal" rallies and movement preceding the attack on January 6, including the months leading up to the riot.
Among those announced include Roger Stone, the political operative who was convicted of obstructing an investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and then pardoned by Trump.
Stone, a longtime political adviser for Trump and others, is being subpoenaed for his activities surrounding and in relation to the events that unfolded on the 6th, according to the committee.
Stone "spoke at rallies on January 5th, and was slated to speak at the January 6th rally at the Ellipse that directly preceded the violent attack on the Capitol," committee members wrote in a statement. While in D.C., he "used members of the Oath Keepers as personal security guards, at least one of whom has been indicted for his involvement in the attack on the Capitol. Mr. Stone has made remarks that he was planning to 'lead a march to the Capitol' from the Ellipse rally."
Prior, he "promoted his attendance at the rallies and solicited support to pay for security through the website stopthesteal.org," the committee said.
In September, Stone was served a lawsuit related to the Capitol riot while chatting live on a radio show. The lawsuit was brought in August by a group of Capitol police officers, who also sued Trump, his campaign and other organizers of the Stop the Steal movement.
Stone was convicted of lying to Congress and obstructing special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election. He was among a half-dozen Trump associates who were indicted in the Russia probe. Trump commuted Stone’s sentence days before he was set to report to prison and later pardoned him.
Another individual the committee is subpoenaing is Infowars host and far-right media commentator Alex Jones.
The committee stated Jones "reportedly helped organize the rally at the Ellipse on January 6th that immediately preceded the attack on the Capitol, including by facilitating a donation to provide what he described as 'eighty percent' of the funding."
They noted Jones' speech at the rally the day beforehand, where Jones told the crowd, “We have only begun to resist the globalists. We have only begun our fight against their tyranny. They have tried to steal this election in front of everyone.”
“I don’t know how this is all going to end, but if they want to fight, they better believe they’ve got one,” Jones said that night, according to the video.
The committee said that "Jones has stated that he was told by the White House that he was to lead" the march to the Capitol.
They also noted that he has "repeatedly promoted unsupported allegations of election fraud, including encouraging individuals to attend the Ellipse rally on January 6th and implying he had knowledge about the plans of the former President with respect to the rally."
Jones, known for promoting conspiracy theories, must pay damages to the families of victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre for his unsupported claims that the shooting was a “giant hoax” after a court last week found him liable for defamation.
The other individuals subpoenaed Monday include:
- Taylor Budowich was a senior adviser for the Trump 2020 campaign. He "reportedly solicited a 501c(4) organization to conduct a social media and radio advertising campaign encouraging attendance at the January 6th Ellipse rally and advancing unsupported claims about the result of the election," per the committee. He is Trump's current spokesperson.
- Dustin Stockton was a rally promoter who reportedly assisted in organizing rallies after the 2020 election, including the Jan. 6 rally. The committee noted "Stockton reportedly was concerned that the rally at the Ellipse would lead to a march to the Capitol that would mean 'possible danger' which he said 'felt unsafe,' and these concerns were escalated to White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows."
- Jennifer Lawrence was also reportedly involved in organizing rallies following the November 2020 Election, including on Jan. 6 ahead of the attack on the Capitol.
"The Select Committee is seeking information about the rallies and subsequent march to the Capitol that escalated into a violent mob attacking the Capitol and threatening our democracy,” Committee Chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said in a statement. “We need to know who organized, planned, paid for, and received funds related to those events, as well as what communications organizers had with officials in the White House and Congress.”
Both Lawrence and Stockton were formerly reporters at Breitbart — the far-right media company formerly led by Steve Bannon, a former Trump adviser who was recently held in contempt of Congress for refusing to participate with the Jan. 6 select committee.
The committee has now subpoenaed at least 40 individuals and organizations in relation to the attack on January 6.
Contributing: Bart Jansen, Donavan Slack,