Fishingcast: Conditions for Southwest Florida, March 30-April 5
Fair weather week, some gusty p.m. east wind late week. But overarching concern for wildfire smoke, red tide. Tides strong early week on full moon. Water temps to 70-73.
- Backwater: Quality of action back and forth, sustainability an issue. Big sheepshead about finished. Mangrove snapper, spec trout on the build. Clean water draws pompano Hurricane Pass incoming.
- Nearshore: Snook off beaches Marco, Kice early incoming. Mackerel action holds 3-4 miles west Capri. Snapper; first & second reefs both tides.
- Offshore: Small kings show mid-range wrecks with bait. Crab pots, markers pulled shortly; equals finish tripletail action
- Backwater: Snook early incoming Gordon jetty to #R18. Redfish scattered both sides Dollar Bays. Rookery Bay Flats, spec trout a.m. incoming on drift.
- Nearshore: Snook Keewaydin beaches first light. Snapper east edges Gordon Five weighted jigs over chum. Mackerel Pier to Doctors 20-30.’
- Offshore: Some retreating big sheepshead; Santa Lucia Reef and west. Mid-range reefs, wrecks 12-14” lane, mangrove snapper. Crab Pots due west Doctors gone two weeks; effects tripletail action.
- Backwater: Seeing fair, good action spec trout Little Carlos Pass, incoming only. Snook to legal, west edges, incoming Big Hickory Bay. Black drum in snapper mix #G41 to #R46.
- Nearshore: Snook, beaches either side New Pass on early first light incoming. Mackerel hot east edge MAY reef.
- Offshore: Some early pelagic action; mid-range reefs holding bait. Kings on tethered blue runners; Cobia on sight cast. Yellowtail snapper, major wrecks, on freelined chum into slick.