Fishingcast: Conditions for Southwest Florida, April 20-26
Capt. Bill Walsh
Generally fair. First spring rain periods. Light winds. Water temps to 74-77. Murky water clears post weekend. Tides moderate both ways.
- Backwater: Mackerel hot action Passes to 2/3 miles west. Clean water draws pompano Capri Pass first, last hour tides. Mangrove snapper show on edge structure both tides. Black drum, Addison Bay creek edges.
- Nearshore: Mackerel et al Capri barges, either tide. Lane, mangrove snapper Five Mile Reef SE corner. First tarpon edge Capri Channel edges incoming early.
- Offshore: Favorable conditions. Few kings, cobia first show of year; deep wrecks holding bait. On live bait. Super deep (70’) hard bottom for red grouper on live bait.
- Backwater: Fouled water clears. Light winds, good tide, chance pompano Hurricane Pass a.m. incoming early. Trout on grass north edge Canon Is. on incoming. Snook, Rookery Bay flats, incoming, pilchards
- Nearshore: Mackerel, bluefish Gordon to Pier with jigs over chum. East edges Gordon Five with tipped weighted jigs under chum for lane snapper.
- Offshore: Improving conditions. Mid-range wrecks for kings, some cobia on live bait drawn with chum.
- Backwater: Inconsistent conditions should stabilize this week. Tarpon begin showing. Snook active circa Coon Key current points / Black drum 4-5’ edges Big Hickory channel. Redfish east wall creek, high tide
- Nearshore: Mackerel 15-20 ft. Wiggins to New; jigs over chum. Lane, Mangrove east structure MAY complex.
- Offshore: Favorable conditions. Red Grouper super deep 70+’ hard bottom. Few kings mid-range reefs on runners under chum.