Fishingcast: Conditions for July 20-26
Capt. Bill Walsh
Some evidence red tide fading in stronger tides. Water super hot; to 90 in shallows. Scattered storms p.m.; Wind mild southwest p.m. Tides strengthening to full moon late week.
- Backwater: Good water scattered. Look for bait surface action; sign that action beneath. Mackerel in faster water Rookery, Johnson Bay on jigs. Snapper dominant; best early and late tide.
- Nearshore: Walton Reef early for mackerel on top with jigs over chum. Snapper; lane and mangrove southeast corner Five Mile on weighted jigs under chum.
- Offshore: Gag grouper action 50-60ft on structure spots. Live bait worked at 20-25’ under chum. Reefs SW 8-12 miles for snapper and mackerel on weighted jigs under chum.
- Backwater: Snook super early last of incoming Gordon to ICW junction on pilchards post shower. Trout on Rookery Bay flats morning incoming. Shrimp under popper on drift. Some pompano in clean early incoming Hurricane.
- Nearshore: Snapper north end Keewaydin reef edges on tipped jigs. Mackerel on Gordon Five and Santa Lucia on jigs under chum.
- Offshore: South water cleaner. Naftal Reefs off Romano for mackerel et al; bottom action for snapper, triggerfish to 16.” Towers for permit on small crabs; both tides.
BONITA , ESTERO
- Backwater: Surface bait; black skimmer action telltale for clean water. Ostego Bay shallows to flats incoming for pompano and trout. Some redfish circa Mound Key bars and flats on shrimp under popper. Incoming best.
- Nearshore: Area loaded with Atlantic sharpnose sharks. On cut ladyfish on wire leader. Good snapper action east edges MAY reef complex. Weighted jigs under chum.
- Offshore: Reports gag grouper to 28” NW 60-70’ with structure work live bait 20-25’ over bottom formations. Yellowtail snapper on wrecks 10-15 mi west Carlos with tad chum under slick. Incoming best.