Fishingcast: Conditions for Southwest Florida, July 27-Aug. 2
Red tide continuing issue north; dissipating south. Algae from Big Lake top concern. Continued super-hot weather. Scattered strong abbreviated rain T-storms light a.m. east winds; gusty p.m. southeast to southwest winds. Tides off full moon; strong p.m. ebb.
- Backwater: Positive action spots with surface bait & good water velocity. Rookery Bay & Hurricane Pass for snapper plus occasional mackerel, pompano. Passes for same early incoming on tipped jigs.
- Nearshore: Good action Five Mile southeast corner on snapper, triggerfish bottom action. Cuda up top on fast trolled vinyl eels. Mackerel action under chum.
- Offshore: Run to towers for permit. On small crabs freelined in chum. Fast retrieve to beat Goliaths.
- Backwater: First light low at Gordon breakwater for pompano. 10-15’ with tipped white jig. Trout at Rookery flats 4-6’ incoming; shrimp 4’ under popper. Snook Henderson Creek high water on pilchards.
- Nearshore: Mackerel et al early 20-25’ Pier to Doctors; tipped jigs under chum. Snook; north end Keeywadin Beach; first light incoming on pilchards post shower.
- Offshore: Flat water a plus for deep run northwest for gags. 60-65’ structure with thread or pinfish worked under light chum on drift.
- Backwater: Surface bait ripples and black skimmer action points to clean water. Snook early, first light Carlos channel to Coon Key with pilchards post shower. Trout action strong bars and island edges circa Mound Key late morning incoming.
- Nearshore: Mackerel et al stay active east edges MAY complex with tipped flashy jigs just over chum. Bottom action good to very good small blacktip sharks west of MAY rubble on live bait
- Offshore: Flat conditions present good chance run south to towers. Reports on great action on permit in clean deep water working freelined small crabs under chum. Need fast retrieve to outrun Goliaths.