Fishingcast: Conditions for Southwest Florida, Aug. 3-9
Algae intrusion major issue north; red tide companion issue both north and south. Rain pattern this week will exacerbate. Week of southeast moderate winds with frequent thunderstorms. Tides to new moon. Strong a.m. ebb. Water temp to 90.
- Backwater: Red tide tainted water scattered. Seek locales with bait & bird action. Fish early before rays penetrate water vertically. Rookery Bay, ICW edges action spots snapper, some snook and trout.
- Nearshore: Walton Reef early strong ebb with jigs to structure for lane and mangrove; p.m. flood tide mackerel et al top water jigs under chum.
- Offshore: Most mid-range reefs holding sizable snapper on tipped weighted jugs. Mid-depth wrecks for kings on runners on wire under chum.
- Backwater: Snook late evening fast incoming Henderson Creek flats drop offs on pilchards; post shower. Puppy redfish first season action Dollar Bay creeks on shrimp. Whiting; east edges Keewaydin beach; outgoing.
- Nearshore: Mackerel and blues Pier to Doctors; jigs over chum. Snapper on reef structure North Keeywadin 15-20 ft.
- Offshore: Kings hold mid-range wrecks holding bait; on runner; wire leader under chum. Lane snapper Southwest 8-12 miles, reefs; weighted jigs under chum.
- Backwater: Finding algae free water a must. Follow surface bait & skimmers. Pompano on seagrass edges circa Big Hickory channel 4-6 ft; on shrimp. Smaller sea trout Mound Key seagrass patches; drift shrimp under popper. Snook; early Carlos edges.
- Nearshore: Mackerel et al Wiggins to Lovers 20th clean water; jig under chum. MAY reef for very good snapper action; weighted jigs under chum. Sharpnose sharks; bottom action cut bait on wire.
- Offshore: Mid-range reefs southwest for non-stop snapper action; weighted jigs under chum. Deep wrecks with bait schools for kingfish working live runner on wire under chum; PM incoming best.